Fast Charging iPhone in Tesla

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'm awaiting delivery of my Model 3 on 12/3 and have just been thinking through all the accessories I'd like.

I ordered a Jeda wireless charger and then found out that even with V9 allowing the USB sockets up front to provide 7.5W, the charge would be somewhat slow. Considering returning it.

In my current car I use a Belkin USB-C Charger with an Apple Lightning to USB-C cable. This charges the iPhone Xs Max FAST. My question here is pretty simple.

I'm trying to figure out where the charging ports (USB vs. 12V) are setup in relation to one another. I do plan on going into my local SC Friday to do an early trade in of my current car, and I will take a look then, but figured I'd ask here first. Can I run the USB-C to lightning cable from the 12V plug to the stock area where the phones are meant to go with the wire being hidden in the console? Are they connected under the center console that opens in the middle or would I need to somehow custom run the cable to hide it? If I keep the Jeda, I'd like to still have the plug coming out of one side for cases where i'm low on battery and need a true fast charge for a short trip. Thanks! If anyone could take some photos showing the 12V plug with the USB area together so I can see how they are in position to one another, I'd appreciate it!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm awaiting delivery of my Model 3 on 12/3 and have just been thinking through all the accessories I'd like.

I ordered a Jeda wireless charger and then found out that even with V9 allowing the USB sockets up front to provide 7.5W, the charge would be somewhat slow. Considering returning it.

In my current car I use a Belkin USB-C Charger with an Apple Lightning to USB-C cable. This charges the iPhone Xs Max FAST. My question here is pretty simple.

I'm trying to figure out where the charging ports (USB vs. 12V) are setup in relation to one another. I do plan on going into my local SC Friday to do an early trade in of my current car, and I will take a look then, but figured I'd ask here first. Can I run the USB-C to lightning cable from the 12V plug to the stock area where the phones are meant to go with the wire being hidden in the console? Are they connected under the center console that opens in the middle or would I need to somehow custom run the cable to hide it? If I keep the Jeda, I'd like to still have the plug coming out of one side for cases where i'm low on battery and need a true fast charge for a short trip. Thanks! If anyone could take some photos showing the 12V plug with the USB area together so I can see how they are in position to one another, I'd appreciate it!
The usb (all usb2) locations are (2) under the phone tray under the screen and (2) behind the center console facing the rear passengers. The 12v socket is in the arm rest section of the arm rest.
I believe there should be links to photos of each included in the FAQ post at the top of the Tech forum section.

Country
Country
There isn't a simple way to run the cable from the 12v socket to the front, but it doesn't mean it's not doable. You can run wires from the 12v socket and hide it under the side panel and run it up to the front. You'll need to pull out the side panel and unscrew part of the trim to hide the cabling. Depending on how thick your cable is, you'll also need to cut a small notch under the trim to pull your cable through. Here's one video on youtube showing it done. I've done something similar, and ran a 12v splitter to the front so that I have 12v access in the front.