1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

"Features of Future Teslas," Montezuma's Revenge, Conversion

Discussion in 'Personal Introductions' started by Bryan Baker, May 20, 2017.

More threads by Bryan Baker
  1. Bryan Baker

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Sacramento, CA
    Country
    #1 Bryan Baker, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Hiya fellow Tesla-freaks,

I'm Bryan from Sacramento, CA. I've been a huge fan of Tesla since about the time the Roadster went out of production and since which time I've done a daily Google searches for "Tesla" and "Elon Musk." I have a scorching case of Tesla fever.

Though I have a degree in Physiology, I would've majored in Physics if I were braver and/or better at math, so my Tesla/Musk fascination has served me well. I have particularly enjoyed seeing Musk's mission-driven companies systematically apply "first-principles thinking," as opposed to thinking by analogy.

The first product of my Tesla fever that I think this community would be interested in is a Google spreadsheet I made called, "Features of Future Teslas." It's a little clunky as a spreadsheet, but it would be even more so in narrative form. But I'll do it anyway, someday over the rainbow. In the meantime, go in and comment.

The name of my Model 3 will be "Montezuma's Revenge." This has meaning for me on multiple levels. First, the obvious: Montezuma's Revenge is the name given to the tendency of white folk visiting Spanish speaking countries to get diarrhea. Second, there's an amusement park in southern California that I grew up visiting, "Knott's Berry Farm" that has a roller coaster that is known for its monstrous acceleration. 0-60 in a mind numbing, and diarrhea inducing, THREE POINT TWO SECONDS! The name of the coaster is, of course, "Montezuma's Revenge."

This magnitude of acceleration was unheard of until Tesla came around and gave us (relatively) affordable mass produced cars that hit and exceeded that number. I came up with the idea right about the time when the early Model Ss best 0-60 time was precisely the 3.2s of the roller coaster of my childhood.

So Montezuma's Revenge it will be. Looking forward to inducing it in all my many passengers as I show off "Monty," the best and the greenest car on the road. I'm guessing starting about July of 2018? Maybe in vinyl wrap chromatic blue, ala the Mercedes SLS Electric?

In addition to Monty, I hope to do my own ICE to electric conversion someday. My 6yo daughter and I have agreed to convert a 1966 "slug bug" together, to finish in time for her 16th birthday. I'm planning on using a kit from EVWest, so I know we can get it done without getting stuck and have a quality product to show for it.

For myself, I'm leaning towards a 2005 convertible Mini-Cooper. I'm tempted to do a 1964 1/2-1966 Ford Mustang--they're beautiful & lightweight, but the long snout makes it feel like piloting a boat. No kit for that, so hopefully I'll have the expertise to go it alone after having done the slug bug.

• Like Like x 5
    • Bokonon

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Newton, MA
      Country
      Welcome! And thanks for unearthing a suppressed childhood memory of riding Montezuma's Revenge... That thing sent my pre-teen self crying all the way back to Space Mountain. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
        Country
        Thanks for introducing yourself, @Bryan Baker ! Very informative references, both cultural, creative... (almost TMI-ish so... ;)) physiological !
        Fortunately, when I test drove the Model S 3 times now, I stopped at adrenaline rush... :D

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Safe Daddy Driver

Well-Known SDD
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Jersey
          Country
          #4 Safe Daddy Driver, May 21, 2017
          Last edited: May 21, 2017
          Monty aka Montezuma's Revenge. Love it!

One future feature that I would add is a non-traditional body style that takes full advantage of the Tesla skateboard. Most likely we will get an idea with the Model Y. I bet that cars of the future will look different because of EV architecture.

• Bryan Baker

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Sacramento, CA
          Country
          TMI? haha, yes, you're probably right. Unfortunately, I'm highly susceptible to motion sickness, and for my three test-drives of MS, the acceleration provided equal amounts adrenaline and nausea. So between the physiology, and the economics, no performance versions of a Tesla in my future!

• Useful Useful x 1
          • Bryan Baker

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Sacramento, CA
            Country
            Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing the more creative and out of the box designs built on top of the skateboard that Tesla will do for their version of a VW MicroBus. I know Elon has indicated otherwise, but I'll think they'll do another iteration of an even cheaper, more affordable "people's car."

Elon engages in misdirection at times--like shortly before the release of the dual motor model Ss, he told a crowd (Oslo?) that such a thing is "unnecessary." Which is true on the surface, but the subtext was, "Unnecessary... but AWESOME."

I'm hoping for something similar with not just the Tesla MicroBus and a potential people's car, but also with regard to a living room interior where all seats face each other, which he expressed skepticism about in the latest quarterly conference call.

• Like Like x 1