Firmware build v8.1 18.21.9 75bdbc11 (6/7/2018)

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Looks like this is the big step that Elon mentioned. I saw it installed on an S in England so it's a S3X build.

I was expecting a round number like 2018.30 or something but I don't care what it's called if it gives better AP.

I wonder if they turned on more cameras or just made the previous shadow functions live. For those that don't know, AP was basically only using the front and rear cams. Around Christmas time 2017, they activated 2 more of the cams - the front side cams. This caused a world of problems since there was a batch of cams that were either not connected from the factory or defective. So for the past 5-6 months, these 2 newly activated cameras were operating in "shadow" mode where the computer was using them to practice a simulated AP and matched the simulation to what the human driver was doing.

It sounds like the new algorithm with the shadow testing has been validated and is now being rolled out in this release. Adjacent lane vehicles has been available in AP1 for years now so this would be a major step for AP2/2.5 parity. Now, the only thing missing would be AP2/2.5 recognizing different vehicles like trucks and motorcycles.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Downloaded this evening. Enhancements for Autopilot including showing cars in adjacent lanes along with those in front. Haven’t tried it out yet.
Awesome! Out of curiosity are you a low VIN? Alternatively is your car brand new? Just trying to make sense of how and when people get these releases earlier than the bunch.

Looks like this is the big step that Elon mentioned. I saw it installed on an S in England so it's a S3X build.

I was expecting a round number like 2018.30 or something but I don't care what it's called if it gives better AP.

I wonder if they turned on more cameras or just made the previous shadow functions live. For those that don't know, AP was basically only using the front and rear cams. Around Christmas time 2017, they activated 2 more of the cams - the front side cams. This caused a world of problems since there was a batch of cams that were either not connected from the factory or defective. So for the past 5-6 months, these 2 newly activated cameras were operating in "shadow" mode where the computer was using them to practice a simulated AP and matched the simulation to what the human driver was doing.

It sounds like the new algorithm with the shadow testing has been validated and is now being rolled out in this release. Adjacent lane vehicles has been available in AP1 for years now so this would be a major step for AP2/2.5 parity. Now, the only thing missing would be AP2/2.5 recognizing different vehicles like trucks and motorcycles.
This is definitely the "this week update to AP" that Elon referenced. This is a nice touch for sure. I would still like Summon and highway on/off though!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Awesome! Out of curiosity are you a low VIN? Alternatively is your car brand new? Just trying to make sense of how and when people get these releases earlier than the bunch.
To quote the oracle from The Matrix: "There is no spoon" or in our case, "There is no method to their software updates." My UI is 2 months old.....sigh....

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Still on 18.13, hoping to skip straight to this one
Reminder to everyone to update their owner status on their profile page if you have already received your Models 3. We've definitely passed the steep part of the production ramp and the Model 3s are getting delivered real fast!

As much as we're all anxious to get the latest and greatest update, it is still to be seen if this update goes fleet-wide. Personally, I'll be glad when the user button is available to control when you get your update. I can't afford to have my car turn into a brick with a faulty update (which had almost happened in the past but instead had caused so many bugs I was desperate to downgrade or upgrade or anything)

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

2018.18.13 tracks cars ahead in other lanes already, but it only shows them when you change lanes. Looking forward to this release.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
2018.18.13 tracks cars ahead in other lanes already, but it only shows them when you change lanes. Looking forward to this release.

Those vehicles are detected from the front cams. AP1 and shadow AP2/2.5 are using the side forward cams also. You can see vehicles that are adjacent to you in the display.

verygooddog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Went directly from 2018.18.18.13 to 2018.21.9 75bdbc11 last night.

Could it be that EAP is reading the navigation route to determine when to slow for an exit?

Pretty exciting...can't wait to try it.