Firmware build v9.0 2018.39.6 8377b4d (10/9/2018)

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 31st all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Software update notification at 1:30am? Yes, please!

Heading out to the driveway with a pillow and blanket. :)

EDIT 1: Estimated update time is 45 minutes.

EDIT 2: Actual update time was 25 minutes. Version is 39.6. I'm little surprised it's not a hypothetical 39.6.2 or later, but I'll take it. Apparently plain ole 39.6 was good enough for prime time.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It looks as though this may be the start of v9 wide release for Model 3. We can still keep the megathread going for biding time until we all get the update though ;)

AMPM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update was pending when I went out to the car this morning. Haven’t driven it yet but so far I like the new layout, etc.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anybody have any insight as to how they do this software upgrade rollout? Is it by location? Does it matter how long you've had your car? I have great WiFi in my garage so I'm anxiously waiting. Anything one can do to 'push' things along? Thanks.

Rick Steinwand

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got home today about 3:30 CT, plugged in and about 2 hours later got a software update notification, which took about 25 minutes to install. I sat in the car while it installed and it was both scary and exciting. Initially I had heated seats and tunes, but then both quit, it got cooler and I was wondering how much longer it would take as I was becoming desperately in need of a haircut. Finally the screen came back, then rebooted and I had 39.6.

FWIW, I recently added wi-fi to my detached garage and plugged in every night since. Details are in the benefit of wi-fi thread.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just wish they would take the suspense out of this process and send owners an email or message to the effect: ' Your update is planned for 10/15/18 at 10 pm if WiFi is adequate...'

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I just wish they would take the suspense out of this process and send owners an email or message to the effect: ' Your update is planned for 10/15/18 at 10 pm if WiFi is adequate...'
I think the cars ready for updates head to a queue and get the update the next time they connect. You are not going to miss the update if they decide you are ready and the car isn't connected.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the cars ready for updates head to a queue and get the update the next time they connect. You are not going to miss the update if they decide you are ready and the car isn't connected.
So what makes a car 'ready for updates?' I would suspect that most of the delivered Model 3's are 'ready' but I also suspect, in case there are problems and not to overload their servers, that Tesla has some sort of algorithm to spread the updates out over time???

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
So what makes a car 'ready for updates?' I would suspect that most of the delivered Model 3's are 'ready' but I also suspect, in case there are problems and not to overload their servers, that Tesla has some sort of algorithm to spread the updates out over time???
By "ready" I mean Tesla flags your car as ready. None of us know how they choose what cars are ready for an update. Could be random, could be an algorithm that makes decisions based on hardware versions, location and driver demographics. We will most likely never know how or why they choose to roll out the way they do.