First full ("normal") day with my Model 3

Discussion in 'Tesla Experiences' started by SoFlaModel3, Feb 8, 2018.

1. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    #1 SoFlaModel3, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    I know many are upset with the recent delays, so hopefully this post will help reaffirm that if its possible in your personal situation you should wait at all costs and do not hastily get something else. This is THE car!

Overnight I found myself in the garage a few times "checking in". I couldn't help myself :)

At work, the car was the talk of the office. People came out in waves to take a look at it. There was a consistent response of "dropped jaw silence" :eek::eek::eek:. From figuring out the door handles, to wondering where everything went inside, to looking at all that glass... people were astounded.

Let's start with some quirks as you have to consider the bad with the good when trying to give a fair review.
    1. The sun visor does a great job with head on sun, but it's rather poor when flipped to the side. I found that the sun was routinely just beneath the visor and shining right into my face.
    2. The frunk isn't that easy to close -- I know how to close it, but still have a fear of damaging it and don't bother trying to do it while holding groceries. I suspect (assume) it's intentional design for safety in the event of an accident but it's a bit rough.
    3. The trunk also isn't that easy to close -- not like the videos you've seen where people slam it shut only to have it reopen (that hasn't happened to me), but the trunk really wants to be open, so if you have a double move (pull down, let go for a second, push down) you'll find the trunk quickly jumps back up as soon as you switch your hand position.
    4. The rear view mirror is a little small. I don't actually have any issues with visibility at all, so it's more of a comment that it literally just looks too small.
    5. No blind spot detection built in. I know they're "idiot lights", but even still I think this is a poor omission. P.S. thanks to @TrevP for the walk through on proper mirror position. A bit awkward to adjust to, but really works perfectly!
    Ok so that's it, nothing major right?

On to the things I love!
    1. My plan from the start was to use Apple Music and Waze hazard/police alerts in the background. This plan executes flawlessly in Model 3. To expand, let me step back to my old Hyundai Sonata. I would get in and the phone would take about 15-30 seconds to connect to Bluetooth. While waiting the radio would play the SiriusXM preview station and then require me to change the source. First world problems right? Anyway, not with Model 3. My guess is that because your phone is your key and the Bluetooth is always active, you obviously connect as you approach. As soon as the door opens my music starts playing right where I left off. Awesome! Then tuck the phone in the dock, which I'm getting better connecting to (still will get the Qi pad when it launches in April though) and away we go! Waze alerts for police and road hazards quietly play in the background as they occur and I couldn't be happier!
    2. Homelink with GPS = win! As you approach your gate or garage door Homelink automatically activates and tells you how close you're getting to the trigger point you set. 50 ft, 40 ft, 30.... and go! Perfect accuracy and the gate to my neighborhood and garage door open like a champ. I'm a bit nervous to play with auto close -- just have this likely irrational fear of the garage closing on my car.
    3. Sound system is phenomenal. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but it's by far and away the best OEM system I have ever had.
    4. Driving feel and view. The steering wheel feels great in your hands and it's maneuvering a car that feels so connected to the road you would swear it's driving on rails. I am thoroughly impressed at how nimble this heavy car is. I floored it with my friend/co-worker and he screamed :D
    5. Pre-cooling! I checked the app before I walked out of the office and it said the interior of my car was 105F. Parking in the Florida sun will do that. Pre-cooling the cabin worked like a charm and the car was perfectly cool when I got! This isn't natural for me yet, so I do need to make sure I remind myself to do it until it does. Window tint goes on Saturday which should help a lot as well.
    6. The size! It's small and big at the same time. It's an amazing triumph that this car is much smaller than Model S and certainly smaller than my old Hyundai Sonata as well yet from the inside with the design and glass, it just feels huge!!
    7. Autopilot reduces stress! I did about 70 autopilot miles today. Obviously I was paying close attention to my reaction to it, but wow its impressive in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic on the highway. It was solid the whole way. We have one of those speed lanes where half of the day it goes with traffic east and then the back half of the day it goes with traffic west. I was prepared to take over as there are lines all over the place and it literally never wavered for a second (note I have seen many human drivers fail badly in the same place). I love that you can preconfigure your default speed -- relative or absolute and how fast. I have gone with 7 MPH above relative to posted speed limit. It works really well. I also tested enabling it at low speed, so it immediately kicked in with a max speed of 72 MPH, but with the car in front of me fairly close it didn't jump and then brake -- it read the situation and kicked into autopilot rolling at 20 MPH!
    8. It's fast! At the interchange from one highway to another it's a long sloping ramp to the left with a decent height increase and sharp decrease. I was alone on the ramp and got to see what she could do. The car is fast, silent, and planted to the road. Literally a dream!
    9. No key is much better than having a key! I was cautiously optimistic with the whole phone key idea and wow it's so cool. My sample size is small of course, but it hasn't failed me yet. The doors unlock with perfect timing on approach. Also, again comparing to my old Hyundai Sonata, I had the BlueLink app where I could remote start the car, unlock and a few other things. The issue -- after choosing a command the time it took Hyundai to beam it from the app to the cloud to the car was literally anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Also, their remote start had a limit and would turn the car back off (horrible for the environment after all). Well, again Tesla got it right. The time from selecting the command to the resulting action is literally the blink of an eye!
    10. Easy entry that you can configure. It's one thing to have easy entry and it's a whole different thing to have it configurable so you control where the steering wheel and seat go. Simply put the car in park and unbuckle your seatbelt and you're on the move to your more comfortable exit and re-entry position.
    11. Supercharger status built right into the navigation. I won't use them a lot, but when on road trips with the family, it's huge that we'll know before arriving at the supercharger how many stalls are available.
    12. Charging at home and having a "full tank" when you wake up removes the stress of not getting gas after work telling yourself it's ok you'll get it in the morning only to get off to a slow start and forget you had an early morning meeting that you'll be late for if you stop.
    13. I love Midnight Silver! I will say the Model 3 basically looks great in ever color, so fear not you can't make a bad decision here. I do love the range of Midnight Silver though. It glistens in the bright South Florida sun, looks almost blue in my garage under LED light, and looks great still in the dark. It's going to help hide the bugs on the front and attempt to stay clean though I'll still be washing weekly and removing bugs as often as they appear.
    14. I keep staring at the 19" sport wheels. My jaw dropped seeing them as 20s with the carbon fiber inserts at the prototype reveal. I still absolutely love them as 19s even with the black insert. I think the design really complements the lines of the car flawlessly.
    I have run out of superlatives, but I just wish you all well in what is hopefully not much longer of a wait. This car will be worth it as there is nothing else close when it comes to the combination of price, range, design, performance, and wow factor! Hang in there M3OC, soon enough these cars will be everywhere.

That's it for now. More miles to log tomorrow and days, weeks, months, and years of adventures to come! :cool:

IMG_1169.jpg

EDIT

2 more things I love about the car but forgot to mention
    1. One pedal driving is absolutely great! I have barely touched the brake pedal so far in 3 days. I would say it takes half a day to get used to regen and then you'll never want to "creep" again. I have barely touched the brakes (really just to complete the stop).
    2. It fits in my garage nicely! I'm not sure a Model S would fit. In the picture you can see my Model 3 next to my wife's Hyundai Sonata (which is my previous car as well). The garage is definitely roomier and I'm happy about that!
    IMG_1192.jpg

• Love it! Love it! x 26
    • Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. 3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Great write up, thank you for the encouragement that we all need right now! I must say that your picture above shows off the true lines of the car better than any other photo I've seen, looks stunning in that color and lighting! Congrats on the car, the rest of us will just be jealous... At least for a few more months.....

• Like Like x 6
  3. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thanks for the great write up! Every time I read someone's write up, I learn something new...this time it's regarding Homelink. I thought you were going with the aero wheels and I am glad you selected the sports wheel, which is my preference all along.

As my estimate has now shifted like everyone else, I was depressed and disappointed especially when I have to return the i3 at end of March. Your write up helps me keep the faith and I am going to do my best to not give up on getting my Quicksilver 3. My wife said that I've waited this long for it so just hang on a bit longer.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and I am definitely jealous!! :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  4. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    have you taken it over to show your Dad? what's he think of it compared to his S?

5. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I hate to say he hasn't seen it yet. He's been really busy the last 2 days with work. I think we're both washing cars Sunday morning and then setting up for some pictures.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Forgot to ask, did you take your time inspecting the car at delivery? How’s the fit and finish? Gaps, etc... also, did you end up financing with Tesla? My loan is locked in at a local credit union until May 1st. I hope they will extend it if I don’t get to configure before then.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sandy

One obsession to the next
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Fit and finish is very good. My hood does have the challenge where it sits a pinch low in the center on the left and right side while the top and bottom are perfect so there is no fixing that as it’s the curve of the hood. Otherwise everything is really close. Another plus for Midnight Silver though is that the gaps blend in nicely rather than a stark constrast identifying a bad spot.

My one miss on delivery inspection was damage to the glovebox door. It was on the left side essentially impossible to see as the car is delivered inside and it’s kind of dark and the interior being black makes it hard to notice. They’re going to repair of course. Beyond that there is a glitch with my charge port door. Technically speaking it works fine, but there is an error on the screen that won’t clear. Fortunately Tesla is right across the street from my office so these will be quick fixes. Here is a shot of the glovebox door...

FC3E4A2C-A301-4416-9FD0-5D29C42D75FC.jpeg E47EC065-7E72-4A5D-B4A7-5ABFDF1EAC23.jpeg

I’m very tempted, though would be concerned about the durability of the vinyl on the wheel caps versus say covering the black gloss trim inside, which in also interested in looking at.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Just realized I missed the back half of your question. I did end up financing through US Bank via Tesla. Locally speaking the rates were comparable and better than everything I could find.

I’m at 2.9% for 72 months with a principal loan of $53k (~88% of the all in price of the car).

A few credit unions seemed to have marginally better rates, but annoying requirements for joining and maintaining a relationship that the savings of a few dollars a month didn’t seem worth it.

My own bank of 20 years (Bank of America) was over 3%, so I feel pretty good. Money is still cheap.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I am also going to try Tesla US Bank when I configure but will hold my CU as a back up. Appreciate the feedback!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thanks! Great that you’re just across the street from the Tesla place.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    #12 KarenRei, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    You have PUP, so you have the premium sound.

It's not a heavy car. Yours is 1730kg. (3814 lbs). SR is only 1609kg (3549 lbs). Contrast: BMW 330i (same accel as SR) is 1588kg. BMW 340i (same accel as LR) is 1662kg. So weight is very close to its gasoline competition, particularly the SR.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  13. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    @SoFlaModel3 funny you mention the damage on the glovebox. I remember seeing something weird there when I was sitting in the front but didn’t pay it any mind to mention it.

I can attest to everyone his car is very well made. I went over every inch of his car and the gaps are consistent, even in the troublesome spots like the front A pillars that meet the fenders and the trunk C pillar overhangs.

The one area I’ve consistenlty noticed on Model 3s however is the trunk lip line doesnt match up with the tailing housing. Next time I’m close to a car I’ll take a picture to show you want I mean. It’s a minor issue but I keep coming back to it and thinking “why didn’t they design it to line up perfectly. Seems so obvious to me”

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. John Slaby

Over the moon . . . or is it Mars?
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Thanks for the post. We become so passionate about every little frustrating thing that we sometimes lose perspective on the bigger picture. It really helps to have someone anchor us back to reality and what really matters. Waiting for this car has made me excited about something in a way I haven't been for many years. It has motivated me to look at installing solar (much to the chagrin of my HOA), become politically active for green energy, and it has started a conversation with my friends about issues that we would not have talked about otherwise. I know it's just a car, but, for me it has turned out to be much more. Alcantaragate, delivery sequencing, and production delays are frustrating in the narrow view of this, but the bigger picture is still awesome, amazing, once-a-generation kind of stuff. I can be patient and positive for the remaining time it will take for me to get my car. (and congratulations, by the way)

• Like Like x 6
  15. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Panel gap (or lack thereof) picture time...

8A1A8D14-1A17-4DD5-BDEA-1C6E2A5627E7.jpeg A8E0592F-5887-4588-9F8E-DA26009FFA3B.jpeg 03AEAD1E-49D0-4B9A-ACCF-00B782CC74B9.jpeg 1E1CE0BD-F2B3-462B-A9A5-DD503DEB676B.jpeg 2CD99A5D-2D87-4431-8EF4-DA096647AE29.jpeg 2DB2A9B4-4BA8-476A-AAD0-4AB839F03C78.jpeg 3CFB24D7-B087-45E5-9905-3219EB8AA77F.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
  16. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Skione65

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @SoFlaModel3,

Awesome Writeup! Can you address your opinion of the ‘ride quality’. Especially as it relates to your Dads S? (Is his coil or SAS). This is my only concern based on the numerous complaints. Albeit I’m waiting for AWD/SAS. I like a sporty ride but I guess I’m getting old (lol) according to my kids and prefer a ‘softer’ (geezer type-lol) ride.
    What is your honest opinion on the ride quality and how firm or harsh it is per complaints “feeling every rock/seam/bump in the rose”. Frame of reference...I’m coming from an ‘07 Civic on 16” wheels and a ‘16 Odyssey. Love the sportiness of the Civic (feel every rock, seam and bump) love the cushiness if the Ody for long grueling road trips with the family.

Ski

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  18. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    My dad’s S has the the 21” turbines and coils. For comparison sake, I don’t find his suspension to be harsh.

On my 3 with the 19” wheels, I think the ride is “just right”. We hit a horribly paved road right outside of the showroom with @TrevP in the backseat and it was pretty bumpy/bouncy but any car would have been. On normal driving it’s as smooth as can be. Now take with a grain of salt that our roads happen to be pretty good here, but I don’t regret the 19s for a second and have no intention of touching the suspension.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Skione65

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @SoFlaModel3,

Awesome! Just what I needed to hear. As you know opinions have been all over the map. I’m going with 19 Sports as well. I think I love them more than you do! (If that’s possible). It’ll be interesting to see what SAS does and the resultant reviews.

Ski

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Agree on all accounts and certainly suspension and ride comfort opinions are very personal so it’s hard to go apples to apples unless you’ve driven other comparable cars with the reviewer.

• Agree Agree x 1