"Free" charging protocol advice

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My church is in an industrial condo complex with about four buildings.The complex has a shared parking lot. The adjacent building in the shared lot has six Tesla chargers and two standard charges available. I used it this morning and topped off with 50 miles at 39 mph during service. I have only home charged at 110V up to now which gives me 5 mph.

My question is, when you see open chargers like this, is it OK to use? They were all empty as the offices were all closed and only the building that houses the church was being used.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
My church is in an industrial condo complex with about four buildings.The complex has a shared parking lot. The adjacent building in the shared lot has six Tesla chargers and two standard charges available. I used it this morning and topped off with 50 miles at 39 mph during service. I have only home charged at 110V up to now which gives me 5 mph.

My question is, when you see open chargers like this, is it OK to use? They were all empty as the offices were all closed and only the building that houses the church was being used.
I'm not a lawyer but I think it would be awfully difficult to make theft charges stick if there is no signage prohibiting their use. On the other hand, I did hear of the case where a homeless man plugged his cell phone into an outlet on the side of a downtown business that was unmarked and was charged with theft. Of course, a lawyer could have probably fixed it but he didn't have the money and they were just trying to run him off over 2 cents worth of electricity.

The polite thing to do is to inquire during normal business hours.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My question is, when you see open chargers like this, is it OK to use?
The polite thing to do is to inquire during normal business hours.
I agree with PNWmisty, if there is no signage prohibiting use, and no signage prohibiting you from being in the parking lot, then I think you're ok. But asking about them would help put your mind at ease.

Additionally, I suggest checking plugshare.com to see if those charging stations are listed. If so, that website probably contains more information about it. If you have trouble figuring out how to look things up at plugshare, then reply here and provide the location of these stations, and we'll help you out. :)

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd like to add ... kudos to the OP @Ronnie Aloha for asking the question and seeking out the advice of others here. Very cool to see people trying to do the "right thing" with this new(ish) way of getting around we're all enjoying so much :)

Any plans to update from the 110 Ronnie?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'd like to add ... kudos to the OP @Ronnie Aloha for asking the question and seeking out the advice of others here. Very cool to see people trying to do the "right thing" with this new(ish) way of getting around we're all enjoying so much :)

Any plans to update from the 110 Ronnie?
None right now. I drive about 20 to 30 miles a day and work from home the rest of the tiime so I can fully charge my car to 70% at 110V each day. However an upgrade may be necessary since I tripped the circuit when the M3, plug-in Prius and washing machine were on at the same time. They were all off the same circuit.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks for the advice. Ill try and stop by the office when Im in the area durinf working hours. I would imagine its more a landlord issue versus the individual businesses in the complex. They probably would not want it published on plugshare since its likely for the tenants use.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
None right now. I drive about 20 to 30 miles a day and work from home the rest of the tiime so I can fully charge my car to 70% at 110V each day. However an upgrade may be necessary since I tripped the circuit when the M3, plug-in Prius and washing machine were on at the same time. They were all off the same circuit.
You might want to ask an electrician about improving your setup, even if you are not up for a complete job of adding a new circuit and associated wiring. It might even be possible to swap some wires around and convert the line to the car to 240V at 15 or 20 amps. Even 15 amps at 240V will more than double your charge speed and probably halve the inefficiency you are currently experiencing. It's impossible to say without looking at what's there but there are often ways to improve it without doing anything expensive. 120V charging is quite inefficient and I suspect trickle charging isn't ideal for battery life either (but I have no direct evidence of that).

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

as long as they are not restricted by the property owner it is ok to use those chargers. just be aware that those spots are charging spots and not parking spots. is there a reason that you haven't upgraded your electrical service at your residence to allow you to use your hwpc?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
You might want to ask an electrician about improving your setup, even if you are not up for a complete job of adding a new circuit and associated wiring. It might even be possible to swap some wires around and convert the line to the car to 240V at 15 or 20 amps. Even 15 amps at 240V will more than double your charge speed and probably halve the inefficiency you are currently experiencing. It's impossible to say without looking at what's there but there are often ways to improve it without doing anything expensive. 120V charging is quite inefficient and I suspect trickle charging isn't ideal for battery life either (but I have no direct evidence of that).
I'll check for a local estimate on the upgrade. Thanks for the advice!

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
as long as they are not restricted by the property owner it is ok to use those chargers. just be aware that those spots are charging spots and not parking spots. is there a reason that you haven't upgraded your electrical service at your residence to allow you to use your hwpc?
I haven't really needed it. I can charge at home for 14 hours a day, easy. I'll be topped off every morning.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They probably would not want it published on plugshare since its likely for the tenants use.
In which case, Plugshare might mention something like "employee-use only during working hours". That's how they list the chargers where I work.