Friction braking and TACC

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

ig0p0g0

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sort of software and hardware, but I think more software.

I'm going to assume that TACC uses regen braking whenever possible.

In slow traffic and close distance, I imagine it's a lot of friction braking. Sometimes I can definitely feel the friction braking if the car in front goes from slow to zero quickly.

My question...is there any indicator that shows when friction braking is used? Not just black or green line, I understand that. I'd like to get some sense of whether my manual driving is more efficient than tacc in these situations.

On a tangent, is it safe to use tacc to go down a long, steep grade? Willl you know if the pads are overheating? I don't like to suddenly find out that I have no brakes. Tangent to the tangent, I've read about folks knowing their brake temperature, where is that info?

Thanks!

msjulie

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This relates to regular old cruise control - but my experience with it on moderate slops is it uses regen as needed; never was < 20mph with it but I have seen regen, weakly, even at low speeds fwiw

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'm going to assume that TACC uses regen braking whenever possible.

In slow traffic and close distance, I imagine it's a lot of friction braking. Sometimes I can definitely feel the friction braking if the car in front goes from slow to zero quickly.
My experience has been TACC uses regenerative braking exclusively unless friction braking is needed to avoid a collision and that would not be a normal situation. It will use friction braking from about 5 mph to a stop.

On a tangent, is it safe to use tacc to go down a long, steep grade? Willl you know if the pads are overheating? I don't like to suddenly find out that I have no brakes.
I've been on some very steep grades and regenerative braking was more than enough to maintain descents much slower than I wanted to go. The only way I think this would not be the case is if your battery was near 100% charge and regen was temporarily unavailable or you were loaded over the vehicles maximum GVWR and the grade was unusually steep.

As to how you would know if your brakes were over-heating, it would be the same way as with any car, you would notice decreased brake performance and the need for more brake pedal pressure.

ig0p0g0

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks! Your answer to the first two questions made the third irrelevant, but that was exactly my point - if you are not the one doing the braking, you won't notice that squishy decreased performance feeling until maybe it's too late.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Thanks! Your answer to the first two questions made the third irrelevant, but that was exactly my point - if you are not the one doing the braking, you won't notice that squishy decreased performance feeling until maybe it's too late.
I think your concern is misplaced. Irrelevant.

Tophoos

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had the car for less than 2 weeks, and I might be wrong, but I think when it used friction brake, you will feel the brake petal being pressed in, while it won't move while regen braking.

My question is what is the most graceful way to exit auto steer / TACC? Jerking the wheel to exit auto steer makes it look like I'm about to swerve and tapping the brake immediately begins regen brake until I move my foot to the accelerator. What is the proper way to exit these modes?

GRiMm-V-

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had the car for less than 2 weeks, and I might be wrong, but I think when it used friction brake, you will feel the brake petal being pressed in, while it won't move while regen braking.

My question is what is the most graceful way to exit auto steer / TACC? Jerking the wheel to exit auto steer makes it look like I'm about to swerve and tapping the brake immediately begins regen brake until I move my foot to the accelerator. What is the proper way to exit these modes?
You should be able to move the right stalk up to cancel, but it cancels both TACC and Autosteer(no option to cancel only autosteer). Keep your foot on the accel when you do this to prevent regen kicking in immediately.

KFORE

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Just press UP on the mode selector stalk.

Tophoos

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You should be able to move the right stalk up to cancel, but it cancels both TACC and Autosteer(no option to cancel only autosteer). Keep your foot on the accel when you do this to prevent regen kicking in immediately.
Thanks. Come to think of it, I think that's how I would cancel on my old car as well. Don't know why that didn't occur to me. Maybe cause I didn't use CC often. I almost wanted to press the park, but was afraid of what could happen lol.

Anyways, back to OP's question. I confirmed that the brake is definitely pressed down when it gets used, so if you want to get a feel for it, just gently keep your foot on the brake.