1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Friction braking and TACC

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by ig0p0g0, Jun 21, 2018.

1. ig0p0g0

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Sort of software and hardware, but I think more software.

I'm going to assume that TACC uses regen braking whenever possible.

In slow traffic and close distance, I imagine it's a lot of friction braking. Sometimes I can definitely feel the friction braking if the car in front goes from slow to zero quickly.

My question...is there any indicator that shows when friction braking is used? Not just black or green line, I understand that. I'd like to get some sense of whether my manual driving is more efficient than tacc in these situations.

On a tangent, is it safe to use tacc to go down a long, steep grade? Willl you know if the pads are overheating? I don't like to suddenly find out that I have no brakes. Tangent to the tangent, I've read about folks knowing their brake temperature, where is that info?

Thanks!

2. msjulie

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    This relates to regular old cruise control - but my experience with it on moderate slops is it uses regen as needed; never was < 20mph with it but I have seen regen, weakly, even at low speeds fwiw

3. PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    My experience has been TACC uses regenerative braking exclusively unless friction braking is needed to avoid a collision and that would not be a normal situation. It will use friction braking from about 5 mph to a stop.

I've been on some very steep grades and regenerative braking was more than enough to maintain descents much slower than I wanted to go. The only way I think this would not be the case is if your battery was near 100% charge and regen was temporarily unavailable or you were loaded over the vehicles maximum GVWR and the grade was unusually steep.

As to how you would know if your brakes were over-heating, it would be the same way as with any car, you would notice decreased brake performance and the need for more brake pedal pressure.

4. ig0p0g0

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Thanks! Your answer to the first two questions made the third irrelevant, but that was exactly my point - if you are not the one doing the braking, you won't notice that squishy decreased performance feeling until maybe it's too late.

5. PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I think your concern is misplaced. Irrelevant.