1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: ‘Tesla Autopilot was going to hurt our interest’, says Mobileye on Tesla breakup

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Sep 15, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

After a very public breakup in July, Tesla CEO Elon Musk decided to refrain from commenting on his company’s relationship with Mobileye, Israel-based maker of collision detection and driver assistance systems and Tesla’s former partner in the development of Autopilot.

But on Wednesday, Mobileye’s chief technology officer, Amnon Shashua, didn’t shy away from commenting on the situation and opened up on what he says led to the end of the relationship. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    Seems in the best interest of the AP system they go with Bosch. Suspect they're scrambling a bit losing a big customer.

3. Kizzy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California, USA
    I wonder what this means for M ≡. Will we still have MobileEye chips since we're "pencils down" at this point or is there still leeway for different computing hardware for autopilot?

4. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    I'd say the bosch system is most likely.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jayc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      UK
      Country
      #5 Jayc, Sep 15, 2016
      Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
      I am in the minority here. As much as I like Tesla, I will not take AP as an option for my M3. Imagine this scenario... Lets say Michelin comes up with a new tyre which they claim will be 2x as effective at wet braking than its best competition. Here's the catch, they also say than there is however an extremely rare risk of the tyre exploding when driven at highway speed. Would you think okay the probability of exploding is very low and it is clearly better at wet braking than other tyres so you will go for the new tyres. Or would you be like me and think we have managed to be relatively safe with current tyres and if we continue to be careful with driving, we will be okay with current tyre. The way I see it, Autonomous tech has to be as accurate and verifiable to the same degree as the fundamentals of physics or mathematics and until then, it will simply not be good enough. I am especially quite negative about fleet learning and dependency on data from it. What that means (on the negative end) is that one could be going along a street with fleet learning data heavily supporting the Autonomous system and without realising you could enter a 'black spot' where there is absolutely no information and you would not realise that the effectiveness and accuracy of the autonomous system had suddenly dropped to a tenth of what it was.

Until there is formal verification of the accuracy of an Autonomous system covering a wide range of scenarios, IMO it should remain as a driver alert and emergency braking system.

• BigBri

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Country
      I don't plan to take it as an option right away either but I disagree on the fleet learning comment. The idea is building 3d maps to backup what the sensors and cameras are experiencing. You can look at the new AP system as an example where it's trying to figure out where overpasses are. It's not taking any action when it goes under one, it's just recording it and reporting back to Tesla what its going to do. Really without highly detailed data of roads worldwide then no autonomous system would work. I'd be happy for Tesla to take all the data of me driving to build its maps and have a safer system, even if I'm not using it. Current AP is really just a stepping stone which is what a lot don't get. You're mostly turning it on to do Tesla a favor and make the system better over time. Turning it on and having a snooze or watching a movie is a bad idea.

• Kizzy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      California, USA
      If there were a way to disable the new tire at highway speeds, I'd say it's fine to go with the new tire. Autopilot is not an "always on" or "don't have" dichotomy. You can choose when it's enabled and can disable it if it does't work as expected in a particular situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jayc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        UK
        Country
        Well the highway speed reference was made to highlight a point. Note that major accidents can happen even at 50mph. And in my case, I prefer safety features to think about me rather than the other way round - when I'm driving, the last thing I would want to think about is whether Autopilot will work as expected. For me, Autopilot is one of those features I will really enjoy showing off during the first few days and weeks and once the novelty wears off, it will start to become a headache. And one bad experience or unexpected behaviour of the system with my little one in the back seat and I am quite certain I will not bother turning it on again. As I said, I'm in the minority here.

• Rick59

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
        Tesla Owner:
        Reservation
        Country
        I am the driver, at all times. If AP helps me avoid a potentially serious accident, saving my life, the life of an occupant, the life of another driver or another passenger, or a pedestrian, it will be worth its cost. Anyone who cedes his/her responsibility for the car is a fool.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Gary Moore

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Mountain House, CA
          Country
          There is no retreat! I care not what course others may take, but as for me, well, I'm just filing Mobileye with their predecessors from 1492:

"Don't try going west to China, Chris! You'll just sail right off the ends of the Earth. Our maps all say so!"

• Agree Agree x 1