1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: All-electric and solar-powered car successfully crowdfunded, Sono Motors...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Sep 2, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

After launching their campaign for the innovative and very reasonably priced Sion solarcar at the end of July, Sono Motors, based in Munich, has three days remaining in its campaign to garner final support from backers on Indiegogo after recently reaching their goal of €150,000. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

• Like Like x 1
    • Kizzy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      California, USA
      Sounds really cool. Almost too good to be true…

• Jayc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      UK
      Country
      I am all for innovation but you need to first screen all new ideas with fundamental of physics and to me, the idea of relying on solar power to charge a 14kW battery pack in a car is flawed in so many ways. Unfortunately, the only practical use of solar cells to-date has been in home EV generation where the whole of the solar panel is in a flat plane and setup to receive the best possible sunlight to the maximum possible duration each day. Perhaps this concept might find limited use in the dessert or regions that receive intense sunlight throughout the year from morning till evening.

• Badback

Valued Community Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Prior Lake, MN
      Country
      It is not remotely possible to power a car from PV solar cells mounted on the car, not with present technology. The very best that the solar cells could be expected to do is run the HVAC fan and maybe the radio.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • MelindaV

☰ > 3
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Vancouver, WA
        Country
        The general public doesn't have an understanding of how much power a PV can generate.
        The renderings of this little car reminded me of a friend who was buying a new property/house in the middle of nowhere that is off-grid. He was going thru photos and one was of 'the solar system'. it was a single set of 24" x 48" (+/-) PV panels mounted on a post. I asked if it was powering a well pump or what and he said 'it's enough to provide power to the entire house'. He didn't know the actual power output, but it's sufficient. (I didn't want to burst his bubble).

• Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Maine
        Country
        Well if you are going to use the laws of physics approach, best to talk about charging a 14kWh battery pack.

Sure it is. It just depends a lot on what you are willing to compromise on. Solar racers do it... for one cramped passenger, no weight, in a sea of panels. For this car, 14.4 kWh in a place with good sun (5 solar-hours/day) and 20% efficient panels would require 14.4 square meters of panels (or about 10 full size panels). Not on that car. They claim 7.5 square meters, and figure at best 50% of full sun, so 1/4 of full battery.

Oh do burst his bubble. Solar doesn't need any more bad press from misinformed people.

What really confused me was their indiegogo goals. What are they planning on doing with 187,000 dollars? That won't go far even in making a prototype. And then what?

Lovely idea. Awesome price. Amazing efficiency (192 Wh/mile). Does not seem credible. I wish them luck.

Thank you kindly.

• Like Like x 1
        • Badback

Valued Community Member
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Prior Lake, MN
          Country
          I think that you proved my point.