1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: Automakers ask Trump not to make them produce electric cars in first...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Nov 11, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

Automakers ask Trump not to make them produce electric cars in first lobbying effort since election

[​IMG]

Not even two days after Donald Trump’s election, automakers have started their lobbying effort to weaken the requirements for fuel consumption reduction. The current goal is for a fleet average of more than 50 mpg by 2025, which would require automakers to produce more electric vehicles in their fleet to compensate for popular gas-guzzling pickup trucks and SUVs.

In a letter sent to Trump’s transition team yesterday, a powerful automaker lobbying group claims automakers cannot produce zero-emission cars at a competitive price and asks to lower the requirements for them to comply. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    Just..wow. Can't wait to get off this ICE carousel. 2017/18 can't come fast enough.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Blackout

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, ON
    Country
    Looolll you got to love the effort...tho, That they tried...Normally You wouldn't even hear the lobbyist request until after the bill has been pass on their favor...
    Let's see what he does...But I like that he doesn't owe anyone anything...it's just that I wish he was more enthusiastic about doing something for Climat change...

4. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Agreed and agreed.

With more states requiring CARB compliance nowadays, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make to get rid of the federal regulations altogether.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. KennethK

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Michigan
    Country
    Don't they have to meet zero emissions for Germany, Sweden and Norway anyways?

6. Blackout

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, ON
    Country
    Yah but the way I guess they see it, most of their sales are done in North America, and if they can lobby their way in and manage to slow down the Electric trend in the US, then they won't have to spend soo much in infrastructure to accommodate large EV production...So more profit on their pocket...it's a complete racket...no regards for the world just their pocket...Gotta factor in also the loss they would have to swallow on all their infrastructure that is done to accommodate ICE...and that's what really worries them...

7. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    #7 AEDennis, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    In the US, California has been in the lead on legislation and requirements that actually have teeth. Considering a California economy alone will still be in the Top 10 of World economies and our obsession with all things cars... The noticeable differences in air quality in Southern California since we've had stricter controls emboldens our folks in State government.

On Twitter, the head of the Air Resources Board issued the following:

[​IMG]MaryNicholsTweetAfterElection2016 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Additionally, as previously mentioned. There are quite a few more states that follow the ARB's policies in their own states, WA and OR are two of the bigger EV markets as well.

Not to say that hostile Federal regulations wouldn't hurt, but hopefully California and its partners can keep the line until friendlier Federal policies give way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    How about 2020?... :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    That too! Atleast I'll be rid of a smogmachine before then.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Remember... This (normally) impatient guy is set up to wait until 1q19... as it seems... :)
    Keep it up! On your side though!

11. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    Trump isn't going to HAVE to make them do anything. Eventually they are going to have to make the change to electric to stay competitive. Once we have compelling cars that are better than anything a combustion engine can offer and a competitive price they are going to have to see the light no matter how distasteful it may be to them. If they want to stay in business they are going to have to join the bandwagon.

Won't happen right away but it's coming...and I think they know it.

Dan

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. EV3Tim

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Dayton, OH, USA
    Well said, Dan. Meanwhile, EV fans, take a look at the President-Elect Trump team's crazy plans for Energy Independence and Transportation (click on the three little white lines, top right on https://www.greatagain.gov/). Then consider becoming your own EV lobbyist by email and phone lest our Model 3 dreams get cut off at the pass:
    Obama White House Staff:
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact
    Senators:
    http://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/
    Congresspersons:
    http://m.house.gov/representatives/

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. EV3Tim

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Dayton, OH, USA
    PS: I emailed this to the White House today.
    Dear Mr. President,

I am absolutely horrified to read this: https://chargedevs.com/newswire/automakers-already-lobbying-trump-to-relax-emissions-standards/

I hope the new administration can be convinced that internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles with worse emissions means more CO2 and further exaggerated climate change.

The auto industry needs to work harder at developing better electric vehicles with zero emissions and winding down ICE vehicles production.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I have a Tesla Model 3 reservation. I fear for my children and grandchildren's future on planet Earth.

Sincerely,
    Tim

• Like Like x 5
  14. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    While I uderstand the sentiment, I just don't think the climate change/environmental angle is going to resonate with the majority of the general, ICE consuming public. They will be convinced when the electric manufacturers give them products that perform better, have better features, are more reliable and are comperably priced...in my opinion of course.

We need to beat them at their own game and let the market squeeze Detroit where it hurts...in the pocketbook.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    If other US automakers pull away from EVs, they are thereby abdicating the DOMESTIC EV market to Tesla for those of us that wish to "BUY AMERICAN" for our EVs. EVs should never be a partisan issue. Granted I agree that Climate Change, etc is important. What needs to be stressed for others may be things like energy independence (in the true sense of the word, not the artificial sense of sucking up ALL our oil reserves and additional fracking.)

It is Veteran's day and I remind folks that driving EVs is patriotic because no one ever fought a war over electrons.

Unfortunately all the support that the industry had received under the previous administration will now be perceived as a Democrat thing and can suffer because of it. One of my friends reminds me that the EPA was founded by President Nixon (a Republican and Californian.)

The International market with China's government mandating EVs now and Germany's manufacturers going all out for EVs by 2025 should spur the auto industry to act. Otherwise, we're looking at ANOTHER Detroit bailout in the second term of a Trump administration or the first term of the next administration.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Good on you, @EV3Tim !! This is also an expression of free speech in what has been up to now the greatest democracy!
    Are you also sending it to the President-elect? :)

17. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Well said... Protectionism, whether from other countries through obstacles to free trade, or from novel solutions (BEVs) challenging dated technologies, will NOT nurture local industries and help jobs creation in the long run... On the contrary, it will lead to job destructions...
    From the outside, all this looks quite worrying...

18. EV3Tim

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Dayton, OH, USA
    I agree wholeheartedly, Dan. And I will be the first in my suburb of Dayton to lobby neighbors and friends to follow my EV purchase example--those test drives with full torque at zero mph will be a rowser! My concern is that the fossil fuel industry in concert with the non-Tesla auto manufacturers, aided and abetted by the Trump administration, will work to drill and frack their way to reduce the price of gas to the point that even EV fan boys couldn't justify buying an expensive (when tricked out) M3. It's $1.84 per gal locally today. What if in energy independent Trump USA it's a dollar fifty a gallon or less. My oil pipeline stock (CCCCX) has been in the tank for months. It's surged since the election.

Let's help Elon's vision for a healthy planet in two ways: Market the heck out of our Teslas AND hold our representatives feet to the fire to NOT roll back emission standards and prolong dependence on fossil fuels.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. EV3Tim

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Dayton, OH, USA
    Thank you, Michael! Yes, I've dropped a version of it into a "Share Your Ideas" post on https://www.greatagain.gov/.
    In the unlikely event that I hear back, I'll let this blog know.

• Like Like x 1