1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: BMW announces new car architecture to enable ‘electrification of every model...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

BMW announces new car architecture to enable ‘electrification of every model series’, starting with all-electric Mini

[​IMG]

As part of its electrification plans, BMW made a few announcements today. Mainly, they announced that their new car architecture will enable “electrification of every model series.”

They also elaborated on their plan to manufacture their next all-electric vehicle, the Mini 3-door. more…

[​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Badback

Valued Community Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Country
    Less announcing, more making.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • AEDennis

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Southern California, Most of the time...
      Country
      To be fair, BMW has been quite involved in moving to EVs... it's just a longer process for established brands to migrate away from their models...

As an alumnus to BMW's electrification pilot program, I can tell you that BMW builds solid EVs... however, they made a wrong turn originally by creating weird looking i3 and the plan to electrify the fleet is a better one.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWardell

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Boston
        Country
        The problem is that BMW played the EV-1 game. They released the MINI-E when I had a MINI, and they released the ActiveE when I had a 1 series. I loved both of those cars and would adore driving electric versions of them. I would be a perfect candidate for potential customer. But they were only available for lease, in California only. Then they took them back and never replaced them with another electric option.

I'm thrilled they are back on board, now even a gas MINI is more expensive than a Tesla. My MINIs were always in the 30k range, and now the same configuration is $46k. They have also sapped half the fun out of them. I won't be surprised if the electric mini will hit $50k, and how is that worth 40% than a Tesla?

BMW used to truly make the ultimate driving machine, but in the last 5 years or so they have been shooting themselves in the foot.

• ModFather

old CARmudgeon
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        SoCal Inland Empire
        Country
        Bummer doesn't get it. These are all ICE bodywork cars with an electric motor tossed in. This is not going to work as a long term EV program. Bummer has no vision, no strategy, and no plan. Where is their car of the future? They will never be a viable competitor in the EV game with this direction. SAD!

• AEDennis

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Country
        We had 4 BMWs before moving to Tesla... one of which was the ActiveE. I get it and I am probably one of the reasons that they have now changed their strategy to electricify the whole line and have EVs that look like BMWs. My ActiveE was an electrified 1 series coupe.

BMW had missteps. But electrification was always in the plans. Plus all the carbon fiber in the i3 and i8 were purpose built electric and sold well. However the design alienated some (did so for my better half and she loved BMW cars). This move to EV will get US looking at them again. In the meantime, we have our S and Roadster and the 3 coming... the only question with our next SUV is Model X or Electrified BMW X5.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
        • JWardell

Top-Contributor
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Boston
          Country
          @AEDennis I'm very jealous that you had an ActiveE!!

I forgot about the iSeries. Another ball BMW dropped. The i3 and i8 were just the beginning. There was supposed to be an i4 and i6 just a year or two after them. They were going to brand it separately just like MINI. My BMW dealership refinished an entire new building to separate the i branding. Then BMW just gave up on it. It really doesn't take much vision that you are not going to sell as much of an electric roller skate city car as you would a normal sedan or crossover, but it seems many manufacturers don't see this and give up when the clown cars don't sell well.

• AEDennis

Top-Contributor
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Country
          The ActiveE was awesome... folks in cold weather did take the hit on range in the Winter... much more of an impact in a car with less than 30kWh.

I loved that car... my blog title is called: My ActiveE made me Accidentally Environmental - And Tesla made me a rEVolutionary.

I take it as a positive that the entire line will go EV no need to have a separate EV sub brand...

Here is a comparison of ActiveE, Roadster, and S at I did just before I lost the ActiveE in 2014.

• Like Like x 1
          Thread Status:
          Not open for further replies.