1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: BMW uses fear of Tesla and other EVs to rally employees into electric revolution

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Apr 26, 2017.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

BMW uses fear of Tesla and other EVs to rally employees into electric revolution

[​IMG]

Elon Musk wanted Tesla to create a sense of urgency for other automakers to move faster on electric vehicles and accelerate the overall transition to sustainable transport. It helped for some, but others still don’t take Tesla or EVs seriously.

It’s certainly not the case for BMW anymore since the company is now saying that it was under “an electric assault” in reference to Tesla and other automakers working on electric vehicles. The German automaker seems now more inclined to move into the electric vehicle space. more…

[​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Hello Fremont? Munich is calling... :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Badback

Valued Community Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Hello Angela, Elon hear. Please tell those glockenspiel heads down in Munich to stop pestering me with those outlandish concept cars. Danke.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Safe Daddy Driver

Well-Known SDD
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Jersey
    Country
    BMW and the like are still clueless about the real disruption behind Tesla. The article highlights a major difference in the mindsets of legacy automakers versus those of Elon & JB.

It's all about the batteries - and everything that surrounds and supports it, a.k.a. R&D, infrastructure and manufacturing. Application of this technology in automobiles is only the beginning. (JB Straubel is THE MAN!)

Then the disruption shall continue to infiltrate other means of transportation such as semi trucks, VTOLs, amphibians, submarines, airliners, hyperloops... and furthermore, into other industries such as energy and utilities. This shall be accentuated by rapid advancement in battery technology.

IMO for many companies, the only way to survive long term is to do what Tesla is doing: build upon a foundation of sustainable battery energy first, and then branch out from there.

When it comes to Tesla, to think only about cars is to think too small...

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Jayc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    UK
    Country
    Totally agree with @Safe Daddy Driver . This is what I have to add...

The dilemma facing legacy automakers like BMW and Audi is that their very foundation is built upon noisy big engine cars kept afloat by a customer base that appreciates those very features that ICE cars bring. I have colleagues at my workplace who come from a generation of watching the clarksons on tv and to this date, all they talk about is about aspiring to the four rings - as in Audi. When they see an Audi RS on the way to work, that becomes a talking point for reasons none other than the image built up over the years. It is as if Audi, BMW and their customers are stuck in a time capsule.

If you take the highest spec BMW M5 or Audi RSx, remove all its tail pipes, eliminate its engine noise and remove the useless badges, what is left is pointless to their customers - even if it is twice as quick as the legacy version. Even worse, that unique identity is totally lost, and with that also goes the image they have built-up over the years. They then have to play on a level field with the likes of Tesla who have a very good lead. Imagine what will become of Audi if their first mass produced EV is nowhere as compelling as a Tesla Model 3.

This is why I predict it will take a whole new generation of employees (and customers) for some of these automakers to change. When they do change however, there is competition waiting and I do hope they will be able to get back up because competition is a good thing.

Some people say that Tesla moves very quickly because they don't have legacy baggage - I agree with that but when you look at new EV-only startups like Nios, Faraday Future or Lucid, it is clear that having no legacy baggage doesn't always guarantee success in the EV space. One has to have the genuine determination, resources and leadership to produce the right EV at the right time and at the right price.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I love how it is management that screwed up by not planning the transition sooner, but it is the workers who get the scare tactics.

Thank you kindly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1