1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: Electra Meccanica unveils the production version of the SOLO, a ~$15,500...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Sep 9, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

2. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    When companies make 3-wheeled vehicles, it's so they'll be classified as motorcycles. The safety standards for motorcycles are nonexistent compared to those for cars. So they get to avoid all of the expensive crash testing.

I'd never want one as a car replacement. Fine as a motorcycle replacement though.

• Like Like x 1
    • MelindaV

☰ > 3
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Vancouver, WA
      Country
      interesting think I learned from one of the tesla podcasts... the testing agencies purchase the vehicles being tested at their discretion based on trends in public buying. The manufacturer does not hire them to perform the tests. I suspect this is to keep the tests honest, and the agency's funding comes from a Federal source (NHTSA) and the insurance companies (IIHS) thru their membership in IIHS.
      Obviously, manufacturers would still need to conform to regulations given to the vehicle type, but actual testing is not required to get a vehicle on the road from what I understand. (not sure if this is the same with the Euro testing agency)
      https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/tesla-related-podcasts.822/#post-6818

• garsh

Dis Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Pittsburgh PA
      Country
      I was a bit too specific when I said "cost of crash testing". I should have said "cost of meeting the safety standards".

The NHTSA estimates that in 2002, the equipment required to meet all safety standards added an average of $839 and 125 lbs to every vehicle. I'm sure that's gone up substantially given the multiple airbags now required.

Much of the safety of a vehicle has to be designed in, like the crush zone in the front, and pedestrian safety features. That requires software to virtually simulate crashes.

This process also requires some prototype cars & parts, because such software is still kind of new, and manufacturers want to guarantee that they obtain a 5-star safety rating. So they don't wait until they're shipping production cars so that the NHTSA and IIHS can purchase them from dealers to test. They'll perform testing on their own before that point. So they'll set aside early betas for this purpose.

These are all costs that can be skipped for motorcycles.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Kizzy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        California, USA
        If a vehicle offers an enclosed frame, this suggests some level of safety or protection not present on motorcycles—I personally would only want to ride a motorcycle with such a setup.

I'm wondering how likely safety testing will get implemented for this (seemingly) growing segment.