1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: GM officially gives up on nationwide launch of the Chevy Bolt EV, now...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Nov 18, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

GM officially gives up on nationwide launch of the Chevy Bolt EV, now commits to ‘slow’ ramp up in 2017

[​IMG]

Since all of GM’s all-electric cars have so far been compliance cars produced only to comply with ZEV mandates, it wasn’t out-of-bounds for people to doubt them (myself included) when they announced that the Chevy Bolt EV will be available in all 50 states at launch.

It now looks like we were right to doubt them since after months of weakening their language about the launch, GM has now made it clear that only California and Oregon will get the Bolt in 2016, and the rest of the US will see a “slow flow” throughout 2017. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    Model 3 reservations will be over half a million in no time. GM has to see the writing on the wall. They had their chance to get a clear advantage coming out of the gate and they blew it. It will be fascinating to sit back and watch the perverbial caca hit the fan after the final reveal in the spring.

Dan

3. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I wonder if at some point they would essentially sell the rights to LG (that LG doesnt already have) and they become an EV car company

4. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    The T≡SLA Killer... killed before it rolls out?! LOL...
    @Dan Detweiler , I am relatively confident that there already now more than 500k Model ≡ reservations and we can expect yet another large boost after the 'anniversary 3rd reveal'! By YE17, GM may have sold 15k at best while I predict 40-50k Model ≡ on the road by New Year's Eve 2017... :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
      Staff Member Founder
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Aurora,Ontario
      Tesla Owner:
      Reservation
      Country
      It's sad GM has to do this but perhaps LG couldn't ramp up fast enough.

This is Langley a car made by LG and selling into the carb states is just a way to maximize Zev credits while they sort out the ramp. Doesn't look good for spring in Canada at this point.

When Tesla finally shows the finished Model 3 in the spring I think they're going to see a boatload more reservations. Those who cancelled theirs for the Bolt are probably beating themselves up now. D'oh!

The Bolt, despite what the media says, is no Model 3 killer. Especially when you see this new video of what Autopilot 2.0 can do :)

https://www.tesla.com/videos/autopilot-self-driving-hardware-neighborhood-long?redirect=no

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Canton, Georgia
        Country
        I always thought that to compare the Bolt to the Model 3 was almost unfair to the Bolt. Other that the fact that the two cars are EVs there is absolutely nothing that puts the two in the same category. I hate to see that GM is struggling to get the Bolt released as the world needs more EV options, not less...but I am not surprised.

Dan

• Agree Agree x 3
        • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
          Staff Member Founder
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Aurora,Ontario
          Tesla Owner:
          Reservation
          Country
          The problem here is that GM and the media were comparing the two cars but only because the base price are close. None of them took into account what other things Tesla will give us for the Model 3. GM was just spouting off because they were "first" to market with a 200+ mile EV below $40K and then going on to advertise it disingenuously as below $30K after incentives something Tesla has never done with the 3.

This recent change to their plans really speaks I think to a realization that LG doesn't have the production capability to deliver the batteries and sub-systems GM needs to sell it nationwide as planned so they're reverting to selling into the carb states until such time the production capability can get where they want to be. Either that or the perceived demand was not there so they've scaled back their plans. With GM you never know what the truth is.

I had good expectations for the Bolt now it looks like we're going to have to wait until well into next year to see them outside California for the most part. I was looking forward to test driving one.

Oh well, keeps me focussed on the real car I want ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
          • garsh

Dis Member
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Pittsburgh PA
            Country
            To be fair, Tesla to this day advertises the Model S with a price that is after rebates and after "5 years of gas savings", which I find a bit disingenuous. I understand what they're doing and why, but I don't like it.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • BigBri

Top-Contributor
              Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Toronto, Ontario
              Country
              It's a shame as the Bolt seems to be a solid car if it's something you're into. One thing I really like about Tesla is they're not about killing the other car companies but more showing them that they too can do good EVs people will want to buy.

I think no matter how we look at it none of these companies have a secret Gigafactory under the sleeves (that I know of) so batteries will continue being a bottleneck. Considering the Gigafacotory will produce more batteries then the entire planet did in 2014 we kinda know this'll be a bottleneck for awhile.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • MelindaV

☰ > 3
                Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Vancouver, WA
                Tesla Owner:
                Reservation
                Country
                I believe even with the reduced rollout, they are still planning on hitting Oregon dealerships the same time as California...
                I just tried to call (at 3pm on a saturday) three of the largest Chevy dealers in Portland to see when they are expecting the Bolt to be in. For each I got either voicemail or endlessly ringing phones for their sales departments.

• Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
                Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
                Tesla Owner:
                Reservation
                Country
                I consider this beneath any minimum stds of customer service... :-(