1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: GM releases impressive real-world self-driving demo of Cruise’s Bolt EV...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Feb 9, 2017.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

GM releases impressive real-world self-driving demo of Cruise’s Bolt EV prototype

[​IMG]

Last week, Cruise Automation, GM’s startup working on self-driving technology, released a video of its Bolt EV prototype driving autonomously in San Francisco. Even though the company claimed it was driving autonomously, it was quite boring since it was from a dashcam and looked exactly like a video of someone driving around for a few minutes.

The company learned from its mistake and with a simple in-video feed from inside the vehicle, they released a much more impressive video this week showcasing their latest self-driving progress. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    See all that crap on the Bolt's roof?

That's why they don't stand a chance of beating Tesla to be first to market.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
      Country
      With the appropriate markings, I'd pull over right away if I'd see it behind me... and show my drivers' licence without discussion... :eek::eek:

• Watts4me

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Houston
      Bolt $37500
      + autonomous hardware and software
      Probably $45000

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • KennethK

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Michigan
        Country
        Looks like they pause in the middle of the street too for no obvious reason... Then continue on.

• Badback

Valued Community Member
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Prior Lake, MN
        Country
        It reminds me of the Ghostmobile.

• Funny Funny x 1
        • MelindaV

☰ > 3
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Vancouver, WA
          Country
          if you slow the video down to ¼ time it ends up about 2x real time. Here's a few of my observations:
          It seems to swerve around to figure out where it should be in the lane, A LOT (particularly bad around 0:33 & 1:48)
          It sat at a red light (0:16) where it could have turned right when traffic was clear, but waited for the light to change instead; sat for 14 seconds before first car passed, than another 20 seconds until it turned when the light changed to green.
          It does better than I would expect at congested intersections (like 0:29 & 1:58)
          when it came to a stop (0:50) and turned left in front of an oncoming car coming down a significant hill to a stop sign, it turned before (to me at least) it was clear the approaching car would be stopping and not blowing thru the intersection.
          It took it some time to figure out how to get around the stopped moving truck (2:29) while the people in cars behind it knew the truck was stopped and to go around it before coming to a complete stop
          some things it seems to make a clunky effort to swerve around (0:49) and others like an open car door and person it passes pretty closely to (2:34)
          why is the cop car driving away with the back door open? (2:58)

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
            Country
            Thanks, @MelindaV . Though I am afraid that, even if the Bolt had the absolutely best in class selfdriving capabilities, I would not ever like to be its owner behind the steering wheel, with my left hand holding a coffee (yes, I know, the don't drink & drive might be somewhat less critical by then...) and my right hand holding my Valentine... ;)

• garsh

Dis Member
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Pittsburgh PA
            Country
            Nice analysis, Melinda!
            I decided to do one too.
            0:13 After completing a left turn, it decides to stop because a bike blew through a stop sign coming the other way to make a right. It allowed the bike to pass it on the right.
            0:16 Does not yet attempt rights on red.
            0:26 Does a good job slowing down for a construction worker crossing the road.
            0:30 Attempting left turn on yield green. Pulls out into intersection, then slows down to wait. Should wait for a clearing before pulling into intersection.
            0:31 Worse, it starts to turn left before stopping. YOU SHOULD NEVER DO THIS! If you get rear-ended, you'll get pushed into oncoming traffic. Wait until you actually have a clearing before beginning to turn the steering wheel.
            0:35 Driver hits a button on the steering wheel. Bad engineer! No cookie for you!
            0:49 It seemed to slow down more than necessary to go around the hole in the middle of the road.
            0:50 I disagree with Melinda here. The Bolt can probably sense that the oncoming car was decelerating rapidly to decide that it was safe to turn in front of it.
            1:04 Why did it stop 12 feet before the intersection? I guess it didn't want to approach with a pedestrian crossing?
            1:43 Why so slow on this stretch? Appears to have been confused by the bike lane separators.
            2:06 Extra pause halfway through the intersection. Not clear why.
            2:09 Here it pulls right up to an intersection where people are crossing. So why didn't it do this at 1:04?
            2:30 Pulls up way too close to the parked truck before attempting a pass. Has to wait for other cars to pass both them and the truck.

In general, the car isn't very smooth on streets with on-street parking. It goes more to the right when there is an empty parking space, then closer to the center when there are cars. As a result, it seems to "swerve" a lot while driving down a road. They need to smooth out that algorithm some.

• Like Like x 1
            • Steve C

Supporting Member
              Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Toronto
              Country
              I noticed that on all of the self driving video's I have seen that the car's tend to turn the wheel while approaching an intersection where it knows it needs to turn. Should probably be dialed back a bit.

I did appreciate the fact that it eventually went around that parked truck though.

• Agree Agree x 2