From Electrek: Michigan denies Tesla’s dealer license, automaker says it will keep fighting

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code

RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot

Michigan is the most populated state in the US that still doesn’t have a Tesla store or service center. It’s not because Tesla doesn’t want to open one. The company has plans to open a location in Detroit for over 2 years now, but the state direct sales law is banning the automaker from operating a store without going through a third-party dealer.

Again this week, Tesla lost another battle in the state as the Michigan Secretary of State upheld a decision to again deny a dealer license to the automaker for the Detroit store. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized

Continue reading...

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You all remember that quote from the Dealer Association a week or two ago saying the Model ☰ would be a game changer? I expect that comment was made to spur local dealerships (and those with an interest in traditional dealerships) to fight Tesla with all it takes. It wasn't to admit EVs are the way of the future, but to scare the current gas oriented dealerships/manufactures.

KirbyTurbo

You all remember that quote from the Dealer Association a week or two ago saying the Model ☰ would be a game changer? I expect that comment was made to spur local dealerships (and those with an interest in traditional dealerships) to fight Tesla with all it takes. It wasn't to admit EVs are the way of the future, but to scare the current gas oriented dealerships/manufactures.
I took that quote to mean that they do not want to miss the money that could be generated.

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Detroit auto makers are behind this.

Tesla said they specifically submitted a dealer license knowing full well they were going to be rejected so they could sue Michigan for anti competitive practices. We'll see what happens next

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I can't help but imagine Tesla setting up a virtual franchise. Buy in for, oh, say $500 and you get a leased facility and merchandise provided to sell. You'd be required to go to Tesla training. They'd essentially act as employees (with extra financial overhead), but in name, they'd be franchise holders. I don't know about the specifics of the law around doing something like this, but, well, Tesla does like to do these kind of legal maneuvers, no?