1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: Rare Tesla Model S fire following fatal crash in speeding accident

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Nov 3, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

Rare Tesla Model S fire following fatal crash in speeding accident

[​IMG]

Cars catch on fire after severe high-speed impacts. That’s nothing new to Tesla or electric vehicles, but there’s also no doubt that battery fires are different from gas-powered car fires. The latest example comes from a tragic fatal accident in Indianapolis early this morning.

The driver and passenger of a Tesla Model S died after hitting a tree at a reportedly high-speed. The car caught on fire following the accident and was difficult to extinguish according to local firefighters. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Jayc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    UK
    Country
    Looking at the scenery, that road doesn't even look like a motorway. I realise this can sound a bit rude but really, cars are cars whether EV or not, the speed limit is there for a purpose and the basic limits of physics will always be at work no matter how advanced the car is. If you think that the speed limit is just a number and you decide to ignore that, at least you have to know whether a particular road can take those sort of speeds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    ^^ yeah my thought too. It doesn't look like a highway. It's the one downside with giving people access to such incredibly powerful vehicles with tonnes of torque.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    I wonder if it would be possible to include some kind of fire-suppression foam in the battery pack, triggered by heat. Something that could expand to fill the whole pack, withstand the high heat of an out-of-control chemical reaction, and be able to block oxygen from entering the equation and starting an actual fire.

I know nothing about foam technology, or if interior bits would still spontaneously combust just from the heat of the chemical reaction. But I think preventing actual fires like this would do wonders for improving the public perception of electric cars.

5. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @garsh - or triggered by the airbag sensor going off. I believe on ICE vehicles, the fuel pump power is cut when the airbag is deployed. EVs could implement something similar in the event of a wreck - activate fire-suppression, disconnect the high voltage (instead of waiting for the fire fighters cutting the cable), etc.

• Like Like x 1