1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: Shell to start deploying fast-charging EV stations with Allego at its gas...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

Shell to start deploying fast-charging EV stations with Allego at its gas stations

[​IMG]

Some oil companies are well aware of the world’s car fleet fast transition to electric vehicles and they are looking to adapt. As electric cars increase in popularity, gas stations will be forcefully downgraded to simple convenience stores and consequently, they will lose a significant revenue stream.

Shell aims to not be left out in this transition by installing electric vehicle chargers at their gas stations. more…

[​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Watts4me

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Houston
    Good to see that they can see the writing on the wall and are doing something to adapt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Kiwimodel3

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Feilding, New Zealand
    Pretty hard to see them ever being profitable as most people will charge predominately at home and what drivers use chargers for longer trips they will be competing with existing networks like Tesla. I guess having chargers will at least get people to stop and maybe buy coffee and food etc in-store, which i understand is the most lucrative part of the business these days (well in NZ it is anyway)

4. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    I believe that's the same in the United States.

5. ModFather

old CARmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    SoCal Inland Empire
    Country
    #5 ModFather, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    It appears that Shell is going after the non-Tesla business which, at this point, is not very substantial even in California. Perhaps the market will grow in the future which would be great for California. But at least Tesla success is already having an impact on the larger marketplace.

Another interesting analysis of where profits are derived is movie theaters. The theaters just breakeven on the admission revenue and the cost of the movie rental. Where they make their profit is on the high markup of food sales in the theater. Then there are computer printers. Printers are often sold at a loss just to get the ink replacement business which is often up to 50x actual cost (I had an acquaintance who worked in corporate for a major printer manufacturer).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.