1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: Tesla’s quality issues will be harder to overlook for Model 3 owners, says...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Mar 21, 2017.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

Tesla’s quality issues will be harder to overlook for Model 3 owners, says J.D. Power

[​IMG]

Consumer insights and data analytic firm J.D. Power conducted “multiple focus groups of Tesla owners and an in-depth evaluation of Tesla models against competitive vehicles by automotive research experts”.

Based on their research, they released a new report highlighting the fact that quality and reliability issues are currently not affecting the perception of Tesla owners, but they warned that it could change for the Model 3, which they see as aimed at the mass market instead of “early adopters” for the Model S and X. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Badback

Valued Community Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    OK, so let's have our own survey:
    1.) "Maybe" (JDP's words) a giant asteroid will fall out of the sky onto JDP's headquarters and we will be free of their BS.
    2.) JDP will fall out of the sky and kill EV adoption and end civilization as we know it.

What say you?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. eye.surgeon

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Country
    JDP is a highly respected and an influential industry observer. Tesla would be wise to listen to what they have to say. Most quality issues Tesla has had have been self-inflicted wounds, aka unnecessary auto retracting door handles that have a high failure rate and debateably pointless falcon wing doors on the X. Hopefully M3 will avoid similar pitfalls.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Both items not found on the Model 3. Anything else you can think of that could be problematic? This is a simpler car by necessity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #5 MelindaV, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    a few days ago I went thru multiple pages of the Model S delivery thread on TMC. nearly everyone had a comments that was similar to:
    "I've seen the posts where others found issues with fit/finish/paint/loose fittings/etc and spent a lot of time looking over the car and specifically for these flaws and couldn't find a single thing wrong with it."​

I think a lot of the issues are behind Tesla and they are currently turning out well made cars without flaws. I expect the simpler Model 3 will be on par with the Model S & X quality of build from the start and improve by the end of 2017 to surpass their quality of build level.
    I've probably just jinkx'd myself into getting the one totally f'd up Model ☰ to come out of Fremont.

I do agree though, that between the number of model 3 purchases that will happen over the next 1 ½ years and with most being new to Tesla - many new to electric vehicles, any little issue will be blown up on every news broadcast and could potentially because a huge issue.
    Compare the initial number of Model Xs (per InsideEVs there were 754 for its first 6 months) and by then there were already grumblings about FWDs sucking. Imagine instead of such a minuscule percentage of cars having an issue if it were 20 times that many out there in that amount of time and if there is an issue, even minor, it will be blowing up the internet.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. TrevP

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Tesla's quality has indeed improved over time but I can say for sure that some cars are not perfect.

Case in point, a friend of mine (who is a member here) who recently bought a brand new 2016 inventory 60D has a bad hood alignment on his car. Left side of the hood has what I'd call an acceptable consistent gap to the fender (3mm) but the drivers side is 10mm from front to back. It's very noticeable and I have it on video as proof.

That is something that should haven been caught during manufacturing and quality control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    does tesla hoods have the twist adjuster bumpers? Not sure on my Solstice (that has a backwards hood) but my Ford does have thick rubber bumpers on screw posts that you can move up down and a very slight adjustment will not only change the hood height, but also how it sits right to left. If it's similar, it could be a very simple DIY fix could straighten the hood out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TrevP

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #8 TrevP, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    The bumpers aren't the problem. The whole hood is shifted to one side! It's as if the hood is too narrow and guy who bolted it on only gauged the right side.

9. Gary Moore

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mountain House, CA
    Country
    J. D. Powers is no longer owned by James David Powers the Third. It belongs as of last year to a London, England, based conglomerate named XIO Group, which proclaims itself as a multibilion-dollar "alternative investments firm." XIO Group receives most of its revenue from corporations, not from reviewers. Personally, I would rather be reading the auto reviews of the Illuminati.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. TrevP

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    A quick video clip showing the panel gaps on a brand new Model S 60D

Take a look at this:

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. Gary Moore

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mountain House, CA
    Country
    It's all about leverage.

When things are done by hand, the jig and fixture employe in production engineering is likely either a villain or an unheralded superhero.

(Yes, it's spelled "employe" at General Motors, because some industrial engineer once figured out how many miles of typewriter ribbon would be saved. It's all the little stuff that makes a big difference when done over and over.)

Workers on the line need to keep pace with the established factory line speed, even if this is personally day one on the job for them. If humans are doing things all day, they still need restroom breaks, and a relief worker needs to know how to do every job on the section of assembly to be covered. Humans call in sick, and somebody else does that job assignment, come hell or high water. There is no "I" in team.

This is why Elon is onto the genius of the machine that makes the machine. Robots typically either do the job as flawlessly and rapidly as they have been told to perform it or else breakdown and don't even come close to being useful, so that even a human inspector's job is quite a lot easier.

As my famous first cousin is known for having had Antonio say in The Tempest, the past is prologue. We don't need to conspire to murder the weary in this Tesla story, but we may need to hire more robots and give the workers an allowance. (That's why you could never tell why it was George Jetson got paid for doing heaven-knows-what at Spacely Sprockets.)

Elon has seen what human limitations are. Anyone who thinks that John Henry was just a wimp for not beating the steam hammer, needs to spend a nasty ten hour shift on an automotive assembly job, perhaps one right next to a blazing paint oven, for some further enlightenment. Too err is human, especially if you're sweating like the devil and near total exhaustion. Insert putty, here, here, and over there. Repeat until the horn sounds. You'll only wish the game were over.

They don't call them one-shift wonders for nothing. Some quit during the first hour. They go home, do not return, and never remark again how easy auto workers have it.

So, the Three is going to be built more and more by the machine that makes the machine. The Three is not going to be built like the S and X were, and future S and X vehicles won't be built like Gramp's Model S either.

There's a new kid in town. The kid seems to be inhuman. That's exactly because he's not human.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MarkTX

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Cypress, TX
    Country
    This is interesting, as JD Powers has been the bottom line more or less in auto satisfaction rankings since I can remember.

• Funny Funny x 1