1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: Tesla battery packs data shows path to over 500,000 miles on a single pack

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Nov 1, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Staff Member Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    Seems Electrek is posting articles on subjects I've already covered months ago. . .

Here's a video I did 6 month ago about battery degradation. It's not a big deal.

• Like Like x 1
    • jman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      shrewsbury, Ma
      When people sell their cars privately I am wondering how much hard data they can use to show prospective buyers that their car will FAR outlast any ICE car, therefore increasing the value dramatically !!! Presumably the motors will last that long if not longer, tires, rotors, wipers, all will be changed no matter what vehicle a person has. The most expensive part is the engine/transmission and battery packs. When an engine can last 500,000 miles and NOT need to have many parts replaced over time then we will have a discussion about longevity, but that won't be happening. Let the revolution continue to roll !!!!

• Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
      Country
      #4 Michael Russo, Nov 2, 2016
      Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
      @jman, I think as more and more BEVs are being sold and driven, that data will accumulate over the next several years...
      At the same time, I think it is kind of interesting that we would be (too) concerned, certainly in the case of Model ≡, i.e. a (revolutionary, great looking & funniest to drive) car, that we will on average have waited for 18-24 months to see on our driveway. Once it's there, we most probably are going so to be so excited about it, plus enjoy its record low total cost of operation (maintenance included!) sooo much, that we will hold on to it for twice as long (if not longer) than we would have historically kept our ICE cars... :)
      I for one, who will buy my first personal car after more than 3 decades of driving company cars (yeah... Don't tell me... I have been privileged!!) and entering my (thereby even more exciting) next phase of my life as I retire, may actually never let it go... Yet keep on improving it OTA !! :) :p
      That will be my revolution!! Go T≡SLA!

• jman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      shrewsbury, Ma
      I have a model s. I was referring to those of us with electric cars currently that will privately sell them at some point.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Todd Harrison

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Paris ontario
        If super charging is better for the battery since it reduces the heat the battery experiences during charging does it stand to reason that one should install the highest current plug/charger for home charging to limit degradation ?

• Badback

Valued Community Member
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Prior Lake, MN
        Country
        I doubt that any power company will supply you with a transformer sufficiently big to make a significant difference. Not to mention the cost to upgrade your breaker panel. Most homes in the US have 200A service. Much less left over for charging once normal loads are satisfied.
        A solar system with battery storage can in principal be very large, but at very large cost.

• Todd Harrison

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Paris ontario
        Thanks for the reply , I only have a 100 amp panel now so I am limited to that, given your background what would you recommend I have installed . I will be using my 3 for some longer distance trips I was thinking I would prefer to keep the adapter in the car so I can take advantage of level 2 and 3 chargers when needed. we currently have decent incentives in Ontario on chargers and installation .

• Badback

Valued Community Member
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Prior Lake, MN
        Country
        If it is possible to do at a reasonable cost, I would try to update to 200A service. Short of that, if you can determine that your nighttime usage is less than 50A, I would install a 50A circuit (230V), In the USA this would be a NEMA 14-50R, and schedule charging accordingly. Charging at 40A on this circuit would fill your battery to normal levels overnight. 40 x 230 = 9.2kW x 6 hours = 55.2kWHrs.

• Todd Harrison

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Paris ontario
        it just occurred to me I have a gas range and dryer, so I already have a 50 and 30 doing nothing for me, just need some wire and a plug, if I go electric down the road on the range I'll need another breaker.

• Like Like x 1