1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: Tesla CEO Elon Musk joins President Trump’s new manufacturing council, again...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Jan 27, 2017.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

Tesla CEO Elon Musk joins President Trump’s new manufacturing council, again getting closer to the new administration

[​IMG]

Tesla CEO Elon Musk was already on President Trump’s Strategic and Policy Forum, but the White House announced today that he will also be joining the administration’s new manufacturing council, a private sector group that advises the U.S. secretary of commerce. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    This is all great news! Hopefully it will relieve some trepidation among stock holders since the election.

Dan

• Agree Agree x 1
    • garsh

Dis Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Pittsburgh PA
      Country
      Elon keeps catching flak for accepting this "seat at the table" of the administration.
      Too many people would prefer Elon to fight than influence. :(
      I think they are misguided.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • BigBri

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Toronto, Ontario
        Country
        Guess they've never heard of being close to your enemies. There is zilch we can do with an administration that denies climate change. Can't magically call an election or pray that he gets impeached. Instead you can fight for whats right and stand up and thats exactly what Elon is doing. He's having more of an impact by having a direct seat at Trump's table then the people marching in the street. He's the reason I'm keeping some faith that the next 4 years won't set the planet back 20 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Winner Winner x 1
        • Love it! Love it! x 1
        • WaitingForTesla

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Los Angeles, CA
          Country
          I give credit to anyone who can keep a level head and do business with such vile people. That's real diplomacy.

• Agree Agree x 4
          • Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Canton, Georgia
            Country
            He is absolutely doing the right thing. As long as "they", whoever that is, is seen as the enemy then they will always remain just that. And when said "enemy" happens to be calling all the shots it pays to be in the room when those shots are called. He can provide influence and guidance as long as he is at the table. To throw away that opportunity would be incredibly destructive to the overall vision...and then to do it just for spite or because it is viewed as beneath him somehow? Nope, Elon is VERY smart to handle it the way he is. I'm more impressed with him by the minute.

I hope he reads this forum and knows that many many people are in his corner on this. He says it is getting him down. Don't just read the negative tweets Elon! Those are coming from people that are not seeing the bigger picture. Eyes on the prize brother. Keep doing what you're doing.

Dan

• Agree Agree x 5
            • Winner Winner x 1
            • Love it! Love it! x 1
            • Steve C

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Toronto
              Country
              Well said sir.

• Like Like x 1
              • Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
                Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
                Country
                @Brian_North , in other words, if you can't beat them, join them...! :rainbow:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
                • MelindaV

☰ > 3
                  Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                  Vancouver, WA
                  Country
                  Here's a video (about 10-15 minutes) with Trumps opening statements and I'm surprised I've not seen it circulated around more. After I got over the stun of his proclamation "We are trying to get it [business tax] down to 15-20%, and it's now 35%, but its probably more like 38%.", there were a couple comments that I'm sure made EM cringe in his fancy Roosevelt Room chair. Specifically:
                  "if we sell a car into Japan and they do things to us that make it impossible to sell cars in Japan and yet they sell cars in to us and they come in like by the 100s of thousands by the biggest ships I've ever seen, we have to all talk about it. It's not fair. It's not fair. It never was. I just can't believe it's took so long for somebody to come along..." ​
                  I'm sure the various states Tesla is prohibited to sell in were crossing his mind while sitting at the same table with execs from Ford and GM, who were nodding in agreement to Trump on needing to make it easier to sell in Japan (or was it to punish Toyota/Nissan/etc for selling here?). - not to mention, Japan not allowing US cars was debunked over a year ago. Japan doesn't have an import tax on cars... their buyers are just not interested in GM/Fords. Maybe in part because GM is shipping cars intended for the US market (left hand drive, US colored turn signals that the local dealer needs to change out, etc), no service agreement. In other words, they are not making them very inviting.

Another comment I found interesting:
                  "we think we can cut regulations by 75%, maybe more, but by 75%. And have in a certain way better protections, but when you want to expand your plant, or build a big massive plant, you are going to have your approvals really fast" ​
                  this is not a federal issue, but local and no matter what he says, this falls on the local jurisdiction. I work with Building, Zoning, Planning departments every day and can tell you they will not be cutting steps or reducing time of what is required to get a building approved, permitted and finalized. It's too big of a risk for the jurisdiction to cut corners and end up liable for a failure that kills someone. Which is the exact reason why there are steps to go thru to confirm a structure/system is safe before you are allowed to proceed.

• Winner Winner x 3
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • MichelT3

Top-Contributor
                    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                    Steenderen, Netherlands
                    Country
                    I get that Elon Musk tries to influence Trump in the right way and tries to keep a positive position for his companies. I have nothing against that.
                    But being on a Trump board he gives credibility to it. It's always a dilemma when dealing with destructive forces. Where exactly lays the border between cooperation and collaboration?

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
                      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                      Canton, Georgia
                      Country
                      Exactly! He does add credibility to the board, that's why it is so important. This board is going to influence policy...whether we like it or not. With credibility comes influence. With influence comes a change in thinking. With a change in thinking comes policy that makes sense.

Look, we can hold our collective noses in the air and vow to fight everything and refuse participation in anything we view as negative, or we can roll up our sleeves and get to work to help change the frame of mind of those that are in a position to make change. If we just maintain this attitude of finger pointing and name calling (granted, President Trump is just as guilty) then we can hope for no more than we have now. In fact this attitude will only worsen as it will drive those on the other side of the fence further from out frame of mind.

I applaud Elon for recognizing the need for a more mature approach to the problem and I think this approach will bear far more fruit than one of separatism.

Dan

• Agree Agree x 3
                      • Love it! Love it! x 1
                      • Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
                        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                        Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
                        Country
                        Michel, I agree that may be a fine line, yet refusing to be there would do less on the path to accomplishing Elon's vision... as decisions will be taken there that will influence, to Dan's point, what T≡SLA, and, for that matter, SpaceX and later, probably, Hyperloop One...

I would agree, Dan... Irrespective of what Elon has said - or still thinks... - about Trump & his announced policies, he obviously understands little to nothing can be done to change the fact he now sits in the Oval Office... whether people like or not... (and, yes, there clearly are a number of folks in that 2nd group...).
                        So, for now, he's going to remain at the table and, as long it makes sense to him, he'll 'fight' from within, rather then from afar... By the way, I feel he'll walk just as easily, if he gets to the point of concluding his participation is not effective in achieving what he strives for.

One thing on Japanese cars (thanks, Melinda, for including this useful link to the Politico article!), what seems disregarded here is the tens of thousands of North American jobs currently used for designing, producing & marketing Japanese cars in the US...: 'Three out of every four Japanese cars & trucks sold in the U.S. are built in North America' (which of course includes Canada... and Mexico... staying objective)
                        http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...-big-3-automakers-built-more-cars-in-u-s.html

Finally, while we feel compelled to comment on these news, as they concern Elon & how he is trying to best cope with the new administration, let's all remember (and that includes me... ;)) we are committed to refrain from getting too 'political' in our threads... however hard this may be at times...

So... let's keep our eyes open for these first beta cars sightings out there!! :D