From Electrek: Tesla is doubling the energy capacity of the Powerpack with new battery...

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code

RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot

Electrek has learned some details of Tesla’s ‘Powerpack 2.0’, the second generation of Tesla Energy’s scalable battery pack for commercial and utility-scale projects, which will be equipped with the new 2170 battery cells. The new cell is potentially Tesla’s most important product to be unveiled this year – and yes, I’m aware Tesla unveiled the Model 3 earlier this year.

Not much is known about Tesla’s new battery cell developed in partnership with Panasonic and that will soon go into production at the Gigafactory in Nevada. CEO Elon Musk and CTO JB Straubel both said that the new 2170 format cell will feature a new battery chemistry slightly different from the current 18650 cells used by Tesla in its vehicles and energy storage products. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized

Continue reading...

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...the current Powerpack is being advertised with a capacity of 100 kWh, sources say that the available energy is closer to 95 kWh and that the new Powerpack 2.0 will have a capacity of 200 kWh.

The pack itself will stay roughly the same size
That is incredible news. I'm looking forward to having a Model 3 with 400+ mile range!

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That would be nice! I think we'll have to wait until the second half of 2017 to find out for sure.

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
The new cells have almost 47% more volume than the 18650 so capacity is certainly higher.

I'm going to assume here that the new modules with the new cells are the same as what is going into the Model 3 just like the modules in the current power wall and power packs are the same as used in the Model S. Tesla likes to leverage what they already have.

I think we're going to see some interesting (surprising) range numbers for Model 3 :) Yes they said minimum of 215 miles buy I think they were sandbagging the industry on purpose with those numbers.