1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: Tesla is working on opening up its service tools and helping owners repair...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Jan 30, 2017.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

Tesla is working on opening up its service tools and helping owners repair their own cars with replacement parts

[​IMG]

The “Right to Repair”, which primarily aims to force electronic manufacturers to sell replacement parts and make their diagnostic and service manuals available to independent repair shops and consumers, is gaining some traction.

It is currently only in place in Massachusetts, which is why it’s the only state where Tesla owners can register to access repair manuals, service documents, wiring diagrams, and part information, but Tesla President Jon McNeill now says that the automaker is working on opening the program. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    While I have absolutely no desire to go anywhere near the high power battery pack or drive unit, it would be nice to be able to change out a bad door handle or light bulb. Good news for sure.

Dan

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Badback

Valued Community Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Prior Lake, MN
      Country
      AFAIK, there is a safety disconnect for the battery pack. This would make servicing some electrical problems, such as a loose or corroded connection, possible.

• Like Like x 2
      • BigBri

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Toronto, Ontario
        Country
        I love tinkering so this is great news. Not that I'd mess with the car but a small problem would drive me nuts and if I could fix it myself and not waste their time I'm all for it.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Canton, Georgia
          Country
          The best therapy I even got was working on my '69 Triumph TR6. (See avatar) There is definitely something relaxing and cleansing about turning some wrenches...until said wrench breaks free under maximum torque and results in multiple skinned knuckles and an exploration of new and previously underappreciated examples of English vocabulary!

Dan

• Like Like x 2
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Badback

Valued Community Member
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Prior Lake, MN
            Country
            Dan, I can appreciate how relaxing working on cars can be, or not be.

I once, I think it was 1966, repaired a TR-4 carburetor on the side of the road in Barcelona, Spain that is. The only tool available was a Leatherman. The float had a hole in it which I patched with chewing gum, while many onlookers made suggestions in Spanish, not one of my almost 2 languages. The patch lasted all the way back to Orleans, France that is, much to my astonishment.

• Like Like x 2
            • Love it! Love it! x 1