From Electrek: Tesla Model 3: a look at the center screen’s user interface

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Jun 14, 2017.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Model 3: a look at the center screen’s user interface

[​IMG]

The lack of instrument cluster in the Tesla Model 3 might be its most controversial feature. It helped create rumors of a head-up display (HUD) fueled by Elon Musk’s comment that the steering controls will feel “like a spaceship”.

But one thing that it created for sure is an interesting problem for the user interface of the center screen, which now has to display information generally shown on the instrument cluster. more…

[​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Wow, I am really starting to love this screen and the interface. Seems simple and yet easy access to information needed. I am sure these pictures represent just the tip of the iceberg as to what this thing can do. User interface is definitely not going to be a concern for me. Really excited by this!

Dan

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. John Slaby

Over the moon . . . or is it Mars?
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I was very skeptical at first, and I have grown to love the simplicity. I will be interesting to see how the broader market responds to this minimalist look. Will this be the dominant look for new vehicle interiors in the next decade?

4. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    NEVER FORGET....

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Guy Weathersby

Expand Collapse

I want it to go to 11.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thom Moore

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Yes, ever since its debut, the Tesla Model 3 central touchscreen, and lack of a traditional instrument panel, have been the most controversial features of the Model 3. Most auto industry reviewers range from less than happy to unhappy with it. Some of them have had the good grace to point out that lots of other cars have featured a centered instrument panel, including the Mini Cooper, PT Cruiser, Saturn Ion, Toyota Echo, Prius, and Yaris, Scion xB, and various Citroëns. and of course nearly all cars feature a central control panel with buttons and knobs for various functions related to heating, ventilation, and air conditioning, as well as music, navigation and many others.

The main complaint seems to be that one must “take one's eyes off the road” to see the display. Reviewers also cite the need to reach for buttons on the flat screen that cannot be felt and hence the eye must follow the motion of the finger to find the buttons.

I’m here to argue the opposite side of this case, noting that a drivers attention must be scanned broadly around the forward direction in any case, for awareness of cars in adjacent lanes, views out the rear view mirrors, etc. In my opinion, a centered display has certain advantages that outweigh the disadvantages:

Pros:
    • A centered display cannot be obscured by the steering wheel in any position, allowing the wheel to be positioned for comfort and without regard for obscurations.
    • The left edge is immediately next to the steering wheel and can easily be viewed in peripheral vision. The deflection angle is only about 30˚ and is at least as easily monitored as the lane to the right.
    • It economizes on conversion to right hand drive in the international market. The dashboard display can be flipped in software.
    • Creates a spot for a smart phone to be mounted on the dash directly through/behind the steering wheel, which could be used to display navigation routing as for a Model S and other cars that replace parts of the instrument panel with that information during navigation.
    • Eliminates the need to reach through the steering wheel to reset trip odometers, select trip computer options or similar operations on a dashboard or on stalks behind the steering wheel.

Cons:
    • Displeases the same set of people who opposed the move to touchpad phones and wanted to stay with their Blackberries.
    • Creates temptation to put dynamic driving controls, such as the cruise control speed adjustment, on the touch screen rather than on the steering wheel thumbwheels. Please put them on the thumbwheels instead!

Guideline Proposal:

• Vehicle configuration and navigation controls should be on the touchscreen.
    • Dynamic vehicle motion control functions should be on the steering wheel or stalks, including direction selection, parking brake, steering, cruise control or autopilot, speed in cruise or autopilot, directional signals, windshield wipers, possibly others.
    • Separation in cruise control should be “smart”, that is proportional to speed, as in one car length per 20 kph. The constant could be selectable on the touchpad, rather than the absolute separation in car lengths.