1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: Tesla Model 3: How Tesla will fit $8,000 of Autopilot hardware in a $35,000 car?

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Oct 20, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Model 3: How Tesla will fit $8,000 of Autopilot hardware in a $35,000 car?

[​IMG]

Just as industry analysts are coming around to the idea of achieving a ~$35,000 price tag on a long-range all-electric vehicle, Tesla announces that his own entry in the segment, the Model 3, will also be equipped with a hardware suite capable of self-driving.

The same hardware suite is already available on the Model S and X and it costs $8,000 to activate. moreā€¦

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Paul Spiers

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Newmarket, Ontario
    Country
    The price of the hardware is listed on the Tesla web store as options. If all of the new Model S and X's have the hardware installed onboard, what happens when a bunch of new customers do not activate the system due to the price? I would hope that Tesla has done the math to figure out the break even point. At the price point that they have for S & X that would make it far out of reach for model 3 owners. I would venture that most Model 3 reservation holders would not be able to afford the self driving feature let alone the enhanced auto pilot. The price would have to come down substantially. I personally might pay $4000 to $5000 maximum for the self driving feature but, beyond that I wouldn't be able to afford it. I have decided that the dual motor and larger battery capacity is something that is a top priority for my purchase, so the self driving will probably not make it into my car, sadly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris DS

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium
    Country
    I do understand, on the other hand I'm really excited with the news.
    I would love nothing more than to move to the passenger seat and have the car drive for me.
    Traffic in my area is horrible, nothing but slow going queues, agitated people everywhere and idiotic stop lights that take ages to get through. Just enough to get you crazy before the day even starts.

So if I can afford a 'James' to do it :D
    I could spend my time in traffic playing some chess? Or reading a book? :yum:

That said. For the model 3 Elon is also counting on efficiencies of scale. Like make 20k model S cars with the new hardware or make 2 000k hardware sets for the model 3. It may even be that the hardware is not that expensive compared to the software.

4. KirbyTurbo

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Denver, CO
    Do you mean Design Studio or the Online Tesla store?

5. KennethK

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Michigan
    Country
    I just hope Elon does "the right thing" as he said in an interview about autonomy an the model 3. After all the is no binnacle and the screen is placed for the driver and passenger. So Elon would blow every one away if he said during part 3 reveal "and by the way autonomous features are included on model 3. Thanks to all the X and S owners for making this possible".

6. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    After thinking about it at length, I think I would sacrifice the biggest battery for Level 5 autonomy, assuming I can still get 230-250 miles per charge without the biggest battery. I really think this autonomy is going to be a game changer...but that's just me.

Dan

• Agree Agree x 1