1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: Tesla Model 3: Tesla’s robot supplier vows to do everything it can to bring...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Sep 1, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Encouraged by the strong demand for reservations, Tesla is currently betting everything on its Model 3 vehicle program and even raising more money to plow into the effort. The automaker is aiming to bring the $35,000 all-electric sedan to production (July 2017) just 12 months after “pencil down” on the design.

In order to start manufacturing on time, Tesla is pushing its suppliers hard. Fanuc, Tesla’s main robot supplier, is among those suppliers and the company says that it is ready to do everything it can to bring up the production line on time. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Badback

Valued Community Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    If there are no people actually making the cars, does this protect Tesla from labor unions like the UAW?

3. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Staff Member Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Tesla won't be implementing the new manufacturing system without people until version 1.0 of the factory upgrade. Fremont Model 3 line is version 0.5

4. Kizzy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California, USA
    This really emphasizes for me the need for a universal minimum income. All this money is generated automatically, squeezing out workers.

5. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    There's always more work to be done.

Now we need people who can install robots, maintain robots, fix robots, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Kizzy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      California, USA
      But will this employ the same number of workers who have been displaced? I think we're at a point in time where we can start thinking about other ways we can improve our world.

Sorry. I'm feeling passionate about this. A consumer forum may not be the best place to discuss it.

• garsh

Dis Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Pittsburgh PA
      Country
      If history is any indicator, the answer is yes.

We used to require hiring hundreds of field hands to pick crops. Now they have all been replaced by large machines that can do the job faster and cheaper. There used to be a whole industry that would make horseshoes, carriages, "buggy whips", saddles, chaps, etc.

Do you remember when "Computer" referred to a job instead of a machine? There were people with the job of "Computer" that would handle all of the tedious math.

These sorts of changes keep happening throughout history. In the short term, people can lose jobs. But what gets overlooked is that each technical improvement ends up creating new jobs as well. Stuff gets cheaper and more common, but then humanity wants even more and better stuff.

Keep in mind, Tesla isn't firing any factory workers. They're putting together a *new* assembly line. It will be mostly robots. But they're still going to end up hiring all sorts of people to keep that line running. As I said, maintaining & fixing the line will be required. Bringing material to the robots (logistics) will be required. Telling the robots exactly which options to put into each vehicle. It kind of boggles the mind when you start to think of exactly how many people are *still* required to be hired to keep even a completely automated assembly line working.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Canton, Georgia
        Country
        While I certainly understand your concerns, I feel like it its not the responsibility of individual companies to guarantee jobs. It is their responsibility to do whatever it can to survive and insure a profit margin for its investors. I think that the responsibility of creating jobs falls on the shoulders of the government to create an environment conducive to industrial and corporate growth. Without turning this thread into a political rant, I think Tesla has to do whatever it can to deliver on its production promises and expectations. You can not fault Tesla or any other company for doing what it needs to do to get and maintain a leg up on the competition.

Dan

• Agree Agree x 4
        • Badback

Valued Community Member
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Prior Lake, MN
          Tesla Owner:
          Reservation
          Country
          I would rather that the benefit of new employment go to people who have put forth the effort to learn how to maintain/repair/program robots than to people who only know how to put a part on a car. IMNSHO!

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Maine
            Tesla Owner:
            Reservation
            Country
            This is probably the idea most responsible for the current economic woes. Why are investors more important than workers? If you aren't working to better humanity, I don't think you should get legal protections granted to corporations (paid for out of our taxes).

Thank you kindly.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
              Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Canton, Georgia
              Country
              Who said anything about "legal protections"? How about a tax system that allows for an environment of growth and expansion that encourages expansion and development, thus creating jobs rather than chasing them overseas.

Dan

• Guy Weathersby

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Poway CA
              I believe that Mr Musk said that version 3.0 would not use direct production workers. So that is still a few years off.

• Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
              Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Maine
              Tesla Owner:
              Reservation
              Country
              Because eternal growth and development are impossible? Not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you for or against companies only objective to pay stockholders, if so, cheap labor (presumably overseas) is one way to do that. Moving jobs overseas has to do with wages not taxes. And much of what do exist as taxes are to improve are exactly the things you would scream about if they disappeared.

Thank you kindly.

• Like Like x 1
              • Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
                Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Canton, Georgia
                Country
                A company's first priority is to succeed. That translates into the fact that it must turn a profit and it has a responsibility to its shareholder to turn as large a profit as they can. Without profits, the company goes under and everyone they employ is without work. I don't understand why the word profit has become some sort of evil concept.

Also, I would completely (but respectfully) disagree with your statement that moving jobs overseas is a function of wages over taxes. That just hasn't played out historically. Cut corporate taxes, create an environment that is attractive to corporate development, then companies move in to save money, they create jobs and the economy improves. Just my Libertarian opinion of course ;) ...I understand others will disagree.

Dan

• MelindaV

☰ > 3
                Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Vancouver, WA
                Tesla Owner:
                Reservation
                Country
                In Tesla's (EMs) case, I would say their own internal goals of meeting the mission statement is their #1 priority with shareholders a distant second. Over the years the company (EM) have thrown caution to the wind and essentially said 'screw the shareholders'. I'm not saying that as a negative, just pointing out Tesla doesn't follow the same methodology as most public companies. It is ran much more like a private company, but dependent on stock income without playing it safe for the sake of the stock. Personally, I feel if they had been ran more conservatively like most public companies, they would not have made nearly the advancements that they have to date.
                And in regards to those employed, they expect more from their people than most any other companies and make it clear that there are others that can do the job if they are not willing/able. I am sure those that meet the expectations are paid well, but do not get the impression they are a company loyal to their employees.

• Like Like x 1
                • Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
                  Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                  Maine
                  Tesla Owner:
                  Reservation
                  Country
                  There are plenty of non-profit companies and private companies that are doing just fine. So your premise is just wrong. Milton Friedman invented the idea that shareholder value was most important, prior to that no one believed it, they thought companies had obligations to their workers and the general public (as well as shareholders).

Thank you kindly.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
                    Staff Member Founder
                    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                    Aurora,Ontario
                    Tesla Owner:
                    Reservation
                    Country
                    I'm positive if you asked EM privately if he had a choice now to make Tesla private he would say an emphatic "yes". But they went public at a time when they needed the cash and they still need cash to keep growing. Running a public company and answering to shareholders is akin to shackling yourself in terms of innovation. Tim Cook @ Apple said to shareholders "If you want me to do things only for ROI reasons, you should get out of this stock". Apple and Tesla march to a different drummer when it comes to the stock market.

• Badback

Valued Community Member
                    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                    Prior Lake, MN
                    Tesla Owner:
                    Reservation
                    Country
                    Buying stock is the same as gambling. You are trusting the people that run the company to tip the odds in your favor.

Buying stock should be an investment with a long term expectation that you will eventually get a return.

I object to the side of the market that sees stock only as speculation and micro examines each quarterly result as if the entire goal of the company can fit into a 3 month period.

• Agree Agree x 1