1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: Tesla Model 3 vs Chevy Bolt EV: GM says reservations holders will change...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Oct 5, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

If you listen to the media and industry analysts, there’s an ongoing battle between the Tesla Model 3 and the Chevy Bolt EV over market shares in the midsize electric vehicle segment. That’s even before either car hits the market. I’ve already argued that it’s a nonexistent battle but it feels like we need to clarify further.

Over a year ago, I wrote “GM is making a $37,500 car that would sell for $20,000 if it wasn’t electric, while Tesla is trying to make a $35,000 car that would sell for $35,000 if it wasn’t electric,” and I still think it’s true today now that we know more about both vehicles.

Now that doesn’t mean that the Bolt will not sell, I actually think it will sell quite well, but I don’t think they will be stealing reservation holders from Tesla. Of course, GM disagrees. In reference to the ~400,000 Model 3 reservation holders, Steve Majoros, Marketing Director for Chevrolet, said last week: “I think we’ll get some of those people”. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Staff Member Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    "GM is making a $37,500 car that would sell for $20,000 if it wasn’t electric, while Tesla is trying to make a $35,000 car that would sell for $35,000 if it wasn’t electric"

EXACTLY the right comparison to make here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Maine
      Country
      “I think we’ll get some of those people”.

If Tesla could, I am sure they would gladly sacrifice say 10% of the Model ≡ reservations to the Bolt. Unfortunately 10% of Model ≡ reservations would exceed the number of Bolts LG Chem has said they can make.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • AEDennis

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Southern California, Most of the time...
        Country
        The GM Bolt EV is a SOLID car. It is closer to a $28k car than $20k and is a good value for the money, especially moving from ICE to EV for the first time. The car is good and I think a BETTER fit for my mother, who IS a Model 3 reservation holder (x2, I don't know what the heck she will be doing with the second reservation AND keep her Leaf while she's at it...)

However, after having discussed this with her. She is STICKING with Tesla because she feels that it is a luxury brand vs. GM which isn't.

I have a review DRAFTED from meeting the Bolt EV from about a week ago and waiting until our "media sponsor" for a meetup releases their article before I release my thoughts.

[​IMG]IMG_3368 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

That's a Bolt EV surrounded by S and a Roadster....

And that's the front seat...

[​IMG]IMG_3365 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Nothing special, except that it's a well-built, well-optioned EV. It is, however, NOT a luxury feel or brand.

Oh, and all, but one reservation holder at our event had stayed committed to keeping their 3 reservation, the one who didn't had TWO on reserve and may be willing to swap one out.

Bingo. They have to commit to building them and folks will have to want to buy them. As it is, their model is to have folks be able to pick it up at "dealer lots." Not Just-in-time (or in Tesla's case, even longer.) Folks are waiting for their cars and have budgeted that purchasing process in their lives. They may already have cars that they are keeping until it becomes unbearable. So, Tesla has to execute to meet those reservation holder's expectations.

• Agree Agree x 1