1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: Tesla releases new self-driving demonstration video with real-time ‘Tesla...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Nov 18, 2016.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

Tesla releases new self-driving demonstration video with real-time ‘Tesla Vision’ feed

[​IMG]

Late Friday night, Tesla released a second video demonstration of its new self-driving platform and this time, it included real-time feeds from what ‘Tesla Vision’, the automaker’s end-to-end image processing system, can see. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

• Like Like x 1
  2. AscendedSaiyan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Atlanta
    It's looking good! Now, I think a potential problem area would be large metal grate bridges (RADAR issue) with steep inclines and declines (especially with fog). The fog would, also, keep the camera from determining lane markings as clearly.

3. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Holy freaking amazing. Elon was right when he said he was blown away.

4. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Wow indeed... particularly noticed when the car slows down to a near stop as it reaches the two lady joggers at 1:32' into the video..! Super safe!

5. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    I was actually a bit surprised at how bad the autopilot was in certain situations.

Several of the right turns seemed to go too wide. Cars coming the other way appear to nudge over to the right to avoid the Tesla.

There were a couple times where the car seems to stop before reaching the intersection, then stopping again at the intersection. Perhaps the biker confused it the one time - it's not clear.

Stopping for the two ladies on the sidewalk seemed unnecessary. They were on the sidewalk, and there were no cars coming the other way.

These sorts of issues show me that they're still well behind Google in the technology. But I think they'll make strong progress and catch up. And unlike Tesla, Google has given no indication that they'll be making their technology available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Interesting perspective... I can see how you say it is sometimes hard to judge, maybe because it is shown in accelerated mode (x2, if not x3?)...
    You mention Google. Have you ever seen videos from inside of the Google car? I take it you have... one thing is for sure from the pics I had seen of the Google car, it did not look nearly as good as the T≡SLA... :)

Have a nice day!

7. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Yeah, it might be easier to see what's going on if I slow down the video. If Tesla posts the video to YouTube, it's easy to slow it down there.
    Definitely.

• Like Like x 1
  8. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    I found a slowed-down version posted by somebody else.
    Going through it now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #9 TrevP, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    The Model X in the video was definitely reading the speed limit signs. Not once did it go over the posted speed limit (25 or 35 mph). So far I'm impressed with what they can do on those twisty roads already. Current Autopilot 1.0 would have run off the road or veered out the lanes easily.

It did stop in the middle of the road after taking a right turn @ the 9 minute mark. Just being cautious I guess.

We're not going to see this going live in the cars for another year I bet so lots of time to smooth out the rough edges and really deal with the edge cases.

The NVIDIA Drive PX 2 is incredibly impressive with the amount of data it is gathering and instantly identifying. Having seen their CES demo and what Tesla has done with the Model 3 display systems it's surely pointing to what I've been predicting for some time. It's all becoming very clear now. I will discuss this in my next video.

Great work Tesla AP team!

10. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    A list of anomalies I noticed in the 4x slower video that I posted above.
    0:16 - slows down. Presumably, because it sees a vehicle a half block ahead that would like to turn onto the same road. The Tesla doesn't reach that intersection until 0:23
    0:46 - slows down before reaching the intersection. Then speeds up again before slowing down again at intersection.
    0:57 - comes almost to a complete stop (1 mph) several car lengths behind the next car at the intersection. Then it speeds back up before slowing down again behind the car at that intersection.
    1:31 - comes to a complete stop about six car lengths back from the 4-way stop. It then slowly approaches the intersection before a cyclist passes it on the right side.
    1:51 - overshoots the left hand turn and has to correct a little.
    2:46 - appears to go a little wide (into the oncoming lane) while turning right.
    3:06 - good job of cheating to the left to go around a truck parked on the shoulder! I figure I should say something positive. :)
    4:52 - slows way down for the women on the sidewalk. No oncoming traffic.
    5:36 - seems to misjudge a right turn. Comes to a complete stop while continuing to turn the wheel before continuing.
    7:50 - I wonder why it limits itself to 20 in this 35 mph zone?
    9:00 - Watch the oncoming Nissan driver swerve in terror to avoid the poorly-executed right-hand turn. The Tesla then decides to come to a complete stop before continuing. Maybe that's how it currently punishes itself for screwing up?
    9:45 - Slows down to 21 for no obvious reason before speeding up again.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Wow, you've really dissected that one, didn't ya?! :p
    Was happy you could find the slower pace video (so it was actually x4 originally!) because you do get a much better feel of the environment and how the car proactively adjusts to it...
    Since I self-driving is not necessarily the first thing I expect from my (future...) Model ≡, I guess my standards on this are probably somewhat lower than yours. So I did find this incredible and, I must admit, somewhat more appealing than be4... from an innovative perspective mostly!
    One last thing : funny how I was thinking in the beginning that the background music was a bit abnoxious and then suddenly the song was over and it continued for the rest of the ride without any sound with gave it a truly eerie feel... Spooky!! :p

12. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #12 MelindaV, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    also interesting at 2:40 the stop sign is twisted so facing traffic from the left, but it still knew to stop with the pavement markings - but the pavement markings were not identified as a sign in the medium range forward camera view.

at 8:00 - as the little white dog is going toward the road, it is speeding up :eek:

As far as the wide turns, there were some comments on this after the initial video a couple weeks ago. Some of the comments I'd seen questioned if it had learned bad habits from it's human driver

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    Really? I guess I need to watch more Google videos. What I have seen seem to be very controlled, almost scripted...and in a package very awkward and ugly.

Just me I guess.

Dan

• Agree Agree x 1