1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: Tesla Supercharger etiquette: property owner closed down station after a...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, Feb 22, 2017.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Supercharger etiquette: property owner closed down station after a non-Tesla car was ‘vandalized’ in charging spot

[​IMG]

The charging etiquette is something electric vehicle owners must get used to – though most of it is common sense and fairly straightforward. Tesla has recently implemented changes to its Supercharger network, like idle fees, in order to incentivize owners to follow good charging etiquette.

There’s one thing though that EV owners have little power over and that’s gas-powered cars parking at charging stations. It’s certainly a recurring problem at Tesla Superchargers and it degenerated quite badly at a station in France this week. more…

Filed under: Uncategorized [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Fred really shouldn't be editorializing like this. That's a pretty ridiculous thing to say. If I have idiot Tesla owners in the area, who are most likely NOT staying at the hotel, and take it upon themselves to vandalize employee and customer vehicles, then I would definitely feel the need to take action to prevent that. And the first lever available is the one that shuts off power to the superchargers.

Sure, the hotel could add signs that say that the spaces are available for general parking. Sure, the hotel could add security cameras to help them catch and prosecute the vandals. But these are extra expenses, on top of the hotel paying for the supercharger's electricity. If you make the cost of hosting a supercharging station too high, then hotel owners are going to lose the incentive to do so.

Ideally, Tesla should volunteer to add signs and security cameras for this hotel. It will help convince hotel management to keep the station in operation, and hopefully prevent future acts of vandalism.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Maine
      Country
      In the end I don't think having superchargers that people need to get home, and long(ish) term parking in the same spot is a viable idea. Entitlement will run heavy in both directions, and that is a recipe for conflict.

Thank you kindly.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • BigBri

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Toronto, Ontario
        Country
        While it sucks to have a charger blocked yeah you can't just damage property. Tesla was really smart with the SCs near me. You can access them from the front or back as they're just in the middle of the lot but also at the furthest point from stores so nobody wants to park there.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Badback

Valued Community Member
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Prior Lake, MN
          Country
          I don't think that the hotel is paying for the electricity.

• garsh

Dis Member
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Pittsburgh PA
          Country
          You're correct. I was thinking of Tesla's destination charging program.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Watts4me

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Houston
            Maybe whoever vandalized the car by pouring oil on it thought it was a Tesla car.

• BigBri

Top-Contributor
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Toronto, Ontario
            Country
            This got me thinking further that we will probably see a lot of this and also as the Model3 comes out there might be some tensions between EV adopters and ICE drivers. Hopefully it's not the case but I can already see it in YouTube comments and such.