1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

From Electrek: The Electrek Review: Can the 2017 BMW 330e Plug-in Hybrid bridge the ICE and...

Discussion in 'News from Electrek.co' started by RSSFeed, May 12, 2017.

More threads by RSSFeed
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

The Electrek Review: Can the 2017 BMW 330e Plug-in Hybrid bridge the ICE and EV gap?

[​IMG]

“Charging is optional, thrilling is not.” it says on the BMW iPerformance website. A bold statement but one that is unfortunately true. The regenerative brakes charge the battery, so you don’t necessarily have to charge it, and the 330e is indeed a thrilling ride. However there are so many questions: Is the 330e still the Ultimate Driving Machine? Did BMW successfully bridge the gap between a sports sedan with an internal combustion engine and an electric vehicle? Can it drive like an EV in urban environments and still provide a thrilling drive on backroads while being somewhat frugal on gas? Is the BMW 330e the ultimate hybrid or an overpriced Prius on steroids?

Keep reading and find out our conclusion after putting this car through its paces. more…

[​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
    Country
    Totally confirms my view of most, if not all PHEVs... I called them the 'WTP' cars (What's the Point??)... which after all is only a slightly more PC version of 'WTF'... :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Canton, Georgia
      Country
      At the time that I bought my Volt in 2013 I viewed it as a transitional vehicle. Something to get me MUCH better gas mileage, with the benefits of electric propulsion for 80% of my driving, without giving up my long range capability at a price I could afford until an all electric alternative came along that could meet those needs. On all fronts it has lived up to and exceeded all those expectations.

Now the Model 3 is here and I am more than ready to make the move to all electric.

Dan

• Like Like x 1
      • Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
        Country
        @Dan Detweiler , glad & respect that has worked out for ya! The Volt - and you... ;) - is precisely why I started with 'most...' ;)

• garsh

Dis Member
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Pittsburgh PA
        Country
        I know some people like the better gas mileage. And I do like saving money on gas/electricity for driving. I ruled out getting a Volt pretty early when I had decided to get an electric car, and it was for one main reason.

Maintenance.

The Volt still has a gas engine. So you still need oil changes. Still need to stop at gas stations. Still need emissions inspections. Check transmission fluids. And there are, many, many more moving parts that can potentially break. I wanted the simplicity of a *pure* electric vehicle, even if it had the face of a frog.

• Like Like x 2
        • Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Canton, Georgia
          Country
          Like I said, 5 years ago the Volt was really the only option I had. I had to have the ability to do long trips efficiently. Simply didn't exist in a pure EV back then. Well, at least at my price point.

Dan

• Like Like x 3