Front license plate bracket question

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I used the front license plate bracket that came with the car today. It uses double sided tapes to tape onto the from bumper, so no holes are needed to drill. But my friend said in hot weather will make the bracket fall off due to lost of stickiness. Has anyone experience this?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
No, that 3M tape is tenacious stuff. It won't just fall off unless it's installed improperly (and it's well protected from getting ripped off from pulling up to a tall curb). It could come off if it got caught behind a solid object somehow and the car reversed. But this is just as likely with an install using screws.

Tips:

Clean the contact area with paper towel and rubbing alcohol.
Follow pictograph instructions on back to insure proper placement with the body contours.
Press well. There is a reason why the tape is called "pressure sensitive". It bonds with pressure and more is better.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, that 3M tape is tenacious stuff. It won't just fall off unless it's installed improperly (and it's well protected from getting ripped off from pulling up to a tall curb). It could come off if it got caught behind a solid object somehow and the car reversed. But this is just as likely with an install using screws.

Tips:

Clean the contact area with paper towel and rubbing alcohol.
Follow pictograph instructions on back to insure proper placement with the body contours.
Press well. There is a reason why the tape is called "pressure sensitive". It bonds with pressure and more is better.
Is the paper towel for making the surface rougher? Because that's exactly what it'll do. If not I'd stick to a microfiber cloth.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Is the paper towel for making the surface rougher? Because that's exactly what it'll do. If not I'd stick to a microfiber cloth.
Either one will work fine. This is only for the area under the 3M tape. The alcohol will dissolve wax and any oils hiding in the pores of the paint and the natural absorbancy of the towel will wick the contaminants off the surface of the paint, leaving a clean bonding surface for the 3M tape.