1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Front License Plate; how to eliminate need for one.....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mike, Feb 19, 2017.

More threads by Mike
  1. Mike

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Batawa Ontario
    Country
    Just some blue sky thinking here, but since I'm no fan of front license plates but live in a jurisdiction that requires one....

Could a front plate be emulated by HUD technology where, from the interior side of the windscreen, there is no plate showing, but on the exterior, the front license plate would actually appear to float in the lower center of the windscreen?

Or.....could an flexable, OLED film (that follows the natural contour of the front end) be activated to show an undistorted plate?

And since I'm dreaming, why have plates at all?

Why not have each vehicle simply provide a signal to any passing law enforcement vehicle (like aviation's IFF technology) where all relevant information would be available on a mobile computer screen.....and said information would only be brought to anyones attention if there was some issue? Also, with this IFF type of setup, any citizen could i.d. an "erattic" driver by having a smartphone app tag the vehicle and autoconnect to law enforcement for further action.

I'll go back and enjoy the sunshine now, cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Los Angeles CA
      Country
      I think that in California it is possible to use over-the-counter vanity/cosmetic plates in the front instead of the official one. I think you just have to satisfy the requirement of a 'unique identifier' at the front. You could just have an American flag, GO LAKERS, or even a Chevrolet bow tie plate up front instead if I am correct on this.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Mike

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Batawa Ontario
        Country
        My dream is to eliminate the need for any physical hardware for a front plate and if the law says I need a front plate, have it CGI'd (if you will) as per one of my random ideas. Much like exterior rear view mirrors, I hope they can be eliminated and replaced with pseudo units.

• Agree Agree x 2