Front license plate?

CPierce73

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hey Everyone! I live in Washington where front license plates are required but I don’t want to drill into my car. Has anyone actually drilled into their nose cone to attach a license plate bracket or are there better options?

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does Tesla provide a front license plate in the states where it is mandatory to have one? I remember seeing it as one of the items in the delivery checklist on one of the threads.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Hehe. So many Teslas in CA (a front plate state) don't have them on. I think one of these days the DMV is gonna start getting fed up with us and cracking down. I really should put ours on... but the car looks so pretty without it. :rolleyes:

Audrey

SR3NTY
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hehe. So many Teslas in CA (a front plate state) don't have them on. I think one of these days the DMV is gonna start getting fed up with us and cracking down. I really should put ours on... but the car looks so pretty without it. :rolleyes:
DMV doesn't care. You paid for the plate either way. Police care because they like to use plates as an easy target point for radar guns.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Does anyone have pictures of it mounted on the side of the front of the car?
It’s possible but I don’t think anyone would do it as it will likely block some of the front ultrasonic sensors. Also, either the toe hook on the left side, or the radar on the right would be impeded.

Audrey

SR3NTY
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One more reason why I SHOULDN’T put the front plate on... gotcha. ;):D
Well, it means they're looking for it and will notice it's missing. I would guess many assume you may be a new car with a temporary sticker or from out of state. That is, unless you're otherwise heinously absconding from the law.

Country
Country
Found the installation video for the Model S. Like this one because it requires no holes, although it lacks the quick release feature of the Sto-n-Sho.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
DMV doesn't care. You paid for the plate either way. Police care because they like to use plates as an easy target point for radar guns.
Police aren’t that good a shot that they can hit a moving Kleenex Box-sized piece of aluminium or plastic travelling down the highway at 120 km/h at a range of 400 m or more. They use the whole car. And hanging a CD from the mirror does nothing except obscure forward vision.

I grew up with license plates front and back and I really don’t understand the concern. I think the front looks naked without the plate.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey Everyone! I live in Washington where front license plates are required but I don’t want to drill into my car. Has anyone actually drilled into their nose cone to attach a license plate bracket or are there better options?
We can request an exemption.
RCW 46.16.240

Might be hard but get enough owners together to sign a petition it is worth a shot.

Just got my model 3 and I am not going to just roll the dice and not get it put on.

Request for exemptions can be sent by email to equipment@wsp.wa.gov or by mail to Washington State Patrol, Equipment and Standards Review Unit, P.O. Box 42600, Olympia, Wash. 98054-2600.