1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Frustrated with Tesla

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by phaworth, Aug 18, 2017.

More threads by phaworth
  1. phaworth

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Country
    I’ve been reading reports of as many as 60,000 cancellations of Model 3 orders now that full details are available, along with extended periods of time to actually receive the refund, sometimes months. I’ve also read examples of Model 3 customers being subjected to some pretty heavy-handed sales talk in an effort to bait and switch them to a Model S.

I put my $1000 deposit down at the end of March 2016, almost 17 months ago. Shortly after that, I received a glossy brochure in the mail with an artists' impression of the car, a thank you note and no other information. Since then, nothing. no mailings, no emails (except those trying to sell me an S or an X), no phone calls The only Model 3 news available has been the guesswork based on sightings of them on test drives until the release of the first 30 models, which, let's face it, hardly qualify as "production" vehicles.

Even now, I cannot find anything about pricing on the Tesla website, just the basic specifications. I can’t use their configurator until closer to the delivery date of my order, which is Q1 2018 if I am to believe Tesl’s website. Why is that? Will the pricing change between now and then?

There’s no mention of the Model 3 on the Tesla website page that helps you figure out your cost savings over a gas-powered vehicle.

When will I be able to take a test drive? Nobody knows.

I gave Tesla an interest free $1000 loan for what will end up being at least two years. I would have expected some level of communication from them in return but I guess Musk prefers to play his mind games rather than tell people the truth.

About a month ago, I signed up for news of the Jaguar e-Pace, due out in second half of 2018. Since then, I have received at least one email a week specifically about the car, current developments, updates, photographs, and videos, all official Jaguar material. And that’s without putting any money down.

So yes, I’m very frustrated with Tesla’s behavior. I'm sure the car is amazing and I admire their vision but they really need to learn how to keep their potential customers in the loop. It makes me wonder how they treat their customers after they purchase a vehicle.

I’m leaving my reservation in place for now since it’s probably going to be 6 months at best before I have to make a decision but in the next couple of years, there are going to be a lot of new EV models available and as news of their features and pricing starts trickling out, I will be watching carefully.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Badback

Valued Community Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    If you have been reading this forum, all of your questions would have already been answered.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    All of your answers are spread across the 3 links below. It's important to note Tesla has not marketed the vehicle nor did they promise delivery before now. They received an overwhelming number of orders and moved to rapidly increase production to meet demand.

I would say their follow up communication has been poor, but like I said everything you need is in the links below...

https://www.tesla.com/model3

https://www.tesla.com/support/model-3-reservations-faq

https://www.tesla.com/presskit

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Safe Daddy Driver

Well-Known SDD
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Jersey
    Country
    #4 Safe Daddy Driver, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    @phaworth you should count yourself very lucky to be a first day reservation holder from California (I assume from your profile) since you'll be getting the Model 3 sooner than most of us in this forum!

When you buy a Tesla car, you are also buying into the rapidly evolving Tesla ecosystem, e.g. SC network, Boring tunnel transport network, Tesla ride sharing network, over-the-air software updates, the most advanced fleet learning and autonomous technology, etc. Not to mention that you'll have the safest car in the world.

You can't say that for any other car company.

Tesla's lack of transparency is partly due to their being extra careful about making promises that they couldn't keep, or setting unrealistic expectations. They've already made costly mistakes with the Model X and they're trying extra hard to make up for that, as well as assure the Model 3's success. Plus, on top of the complex and expensive challenges they already face in the car manufacturing business, they're under extremely harsh scrutiny from many fronts.

In this business, even one tiny mistake could easily set them back by millions of dollars.

The other part in their secrecy IMO is that they plan to crush the competition. I just LOVE it when they make the cars faster or extend battery range so quickly and so easily that other car companies simply couldn't catch up!

Hold on for just a little while longer before making a decision. You can't give up being so near to the finish line!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    and they are doing everything they can to temper the number of new orders for the Model 3 at this time. (hence the annoying Model S sales info on the Model 3 web pages)

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Prime example from earlier today and yes my $32k Hyundai has this functionality, but the point is that the Tesla gets better after purchase and my Hyundai is stuck with what it has....

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  7. Matthew Morgan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    I share some of your frustrations but I also understand that 500,000 vehicles were preordered (with a $1,000 down payment) with nobody actually seeing the car in person. They have a supply problem that would only get worse if they published specs/developments on a weekly basis.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. dudeman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Philadelphia
    Country
    Is boring part of tesla? I think that is stood up as a separate entity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Matthew Morgan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    I thought it was a part of SpaceX

10. dudeman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Philadelphia
    Country
    My guess is, It's a new start up from Elon. He is not easily giving up share of the company with other existing investors. It's probably 100% owned by Elon right now. He will get investors with lot more money later on when he has products and progress to show for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. dudeman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Philadelphia
    Country
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boring_Company

It is private!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Safe Daddy Driver

Well-Known SDD
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Jersey
    Country
    The vision for using the tunnels obviously involves Tesla per the Boring Company's video. No it's not part of Tesla but they share the same CEO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. dudeman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Philadelphia
    Country

It makes sense for Elon to show tesla cars in marketing materials. :) AP even thinks all cars on road are teslas. ;)

One of the reason for electric skate is it can take ice cars and would not have co2 problem in the tunnels. Boring is of course not just for teslas.

I am bit concerned with Elon keeps starting new businesses ( openai, nueralink, boring) and already heading spacex and tesla.

Granted, he works hard and companies are doing well but a part time CEO is definitely not a good thing from investors point of view. This concern has been raised many times during investor conferences. He says he spends less than 5% of time outside of tesla and spacex.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jayc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    UK
    Country
    So your pre-reveal order has an estimate date of Q1 2018 and you are still frustrated?

I pre ordered like you but I get mine "early 2019" alongside anyone else from this region who pre orders TODAY and AFTER EVERYONE who pre orders TODAY from the US - gives a whole new meaning to what it is to be frustrated don't you think?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Of course, though I'm expecting my LHD Midnight S≡R≡NITY in 1Q19 (because I stupidly waited 6 months to place my reservation), I'm totally with you on your point relative to anyone getting impatient when they're within a little over 6 months from getting their Model 3 delivered.

One small correction, there is nothing I remember seeing that says US reservations will continue to have priority over the rest of the world ad infinitum... I have objected many times - and will continue to - to the notion anyone (in the US, or anywhere else for that matter) who thinks they can expect their car during 2H18 while placing their reservation today or very recently. That would make no commercial sense and would be a disgrace to people who reserved a year or more ago, even if they happen to live in a RHD country like you! T≡SLA, with its legitimate global ambitions, cannot be this daft!!

I know you still hear or read here & there that the lead time for new reservations still is by YE18 - when Elon said last October they were essentially sold out on Model 3 through the end of next year...! :rolleyes: -
    I don't believe it and keep cautioning anyone committing the $ (€, £...)1,000 now they are likely to be ready to wait until at least 2Q19....

I may be proven wrong, yet that would practically imply a much shorter 'production hell' and reaching 10k/week output in Fremont very soon in 2018...! :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jayc

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    UK
    Country
    #16 Jayc, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    In the absence of a formal statement from Tesla on production plan, I believe US orders will continue to get priority over everyone else. And in fact there is no evidence to believe Elon included international orders when he made the statement about one year of production being sold out. Apparently Tesla is keen to ensure US customers get full benefit from subsidies before they run out. So obviously Tesla is not bothered whether international markets have subsidies or when they run out.

17. Konstantinos Kostis

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Rödermark
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Tesla said they would "do the right thing" but how would it be "the right thing" if it meant alienating customers outside the USA by letting them wait over new customers in the USA? The 200,000 cars sold in the USA threshold will be reached by early 2018 the latest. They will have to find a balance or they will be finished with customers outside the USA and they are their only method of advertisement so far. Why would they want to risk that? The longer they take to deliver cars in Europe the more other automakers will have products available. Most customers will not know or care for the special attributes Teslas have especially when those cares are simply not available.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    The "do the right thing" quote was specifically about and for US customers.

Also 200,000 is the beginning of the end, not the end.

Everything after 200,000 is critical in the US market. I wouldn't make any assumptions about international orders picking up until Tesla's production ramp is such that they're handling US volume.

I'm sure it must be frustrating for those outside of the US. I'm sure it will lead to some cancellations, but for a US based company that is still for all intents and purposes a start up doing anything other than taking care of home base probably wouldn't be doing the right thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Remember, Tesla's original plan was a more gradual ramp-up (4 years), and fewer cars per year. Because of the huge number of reservations, they pulled their plan forward by two years!

You will be getting your car two years earlier than originally planned when you put down your reservation!

I can't stress this enough. Comparing your delivery estimates to others' delivery estimates is not important. What's important is this: Tesla decided to meet *all* of that demand as soon as they could. They decided to ramp up production much more quickly. And for the first time in their history, they are on time! Be glad you didn't reserve a Model X, and had to wait 5 years longer than originally planned to receive it!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Am with you, Konstantinos, especially as I explained above, with regards to the word new, and not just because I am European.
    SFM3, there has to be limits to this 'handling US volume' bit. Sure 'the right thing...' was intended for the US, to ensure early reservation holders, and as many as possible 2016 additions, in the US, would be able to get the highest feasible tax credit. There will be a fixed number of quarters after the 200k threshold is reached so the 'beginning of the end' is by definition not open-ended.

Again, remember it's all about the point in time, I don't exactly know when it is, probably YE16 - when there were >400k reservations, from all over the world (i.e. almost one year capacity when T≡SLA has reached the intended capacity) - after which there cannot be indefinite US priority given to new reservation. Otherwise, why would Elon have said last October they were sold out until end '18??

Yes, T≡SLA is a US company yet, as stated, with global customers & phenomenal growth anticipated in all regions, they cannot alienate their international markets by endlessly prioritizing new US deliveries. Put yourself in our shoes... how would you feel if you had reserved a car in Germany a year or more ago to get a place in line, and your car would be delivered way after that of a German person who got in line yesterday!!

Just sayin'... ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2