Future Software Performance Upgrade

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

jasonm163

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I cannot find any information on this, so please point me in the right direction if it has been discussed before.

If you order a long range model 3 with dual motors, will you be able to upgrade to "performance" in the future if you desire?

My understanding is that it is only a software difference unless you opted for the "performance package" upgrade as well.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I cannot find any information on this, so please point me in the right direction if it has been discussed before.

If you order a long range model 3 with dual motors, will you be able to upgrade to "performance" in the future if you desire?

My understanding is that it is only a software difference unless you opted for the "performance package" upgrade as well.
The performance version has a larger rear motor, or one capable of a higher power output.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The performance version has a larger rear motor.

I think it remains to be seen if there is any physical hardware difference between AWD and performance or if it's just a raised software limit.
I believe we proved previously by production batches that there is no component binning occurring.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think it remains to be seen if there is any physical hardware difference between AWD and performance or if it's just a raised software limit.
I believe we proved previously by production batches that there is no component binning occurring.
Yeah, I just re-read the article and it called out a quote by Elon that said they were the same, except that performance motors would have double the burn-in. So I guess the EPA listed ratings aren't hardware limited. This is why we need an option to dislike our own posts.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The performance version has a larger rear motor, or one capable of a higher power output.
Actually, the hardware is identical.

There is some variance in manufacturing that causes the power being output by the various motors to be a bit different. Tesla is using the ones that test at the highest output and putting them into the Performance cars. But other than those variances, the hardware is identical to AWD.

jasonm163

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
So since the hardware is essentially exactly the same, will we be able to upgrade to performance later like you can with EAP and self driving?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So since the hardware is essentially exactly the same, will we be able to upgrade to performance later like you can with EAP and self driving?
Maybe. Or maybe not.
Perhaps right now they are only producing top-spec motors and inverters, but in a few months they start building two versions, or opening their tolerances, or who knows. If they are really tracking which car has what installed, they could offer an uncork upgrade. But that's a lot of ifs.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Short answer: No, Tesla is not offering such an upgrade.

Longer answer: Maybe they'll change their mind in the future.

Jayc

Country
Country
And if ever they offer the ability to upgrade from AWD to PAWD in the future, the cost of upgrade will be higher than the delta between a new car PAWD and AWD just because the AWD drivetrain will have a higher likelihood of failure.