GPS Location Stuck

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On 2018.14.13 9e3b7ff and don't know, yet, if this is software or hardware related.

Last night, my GPS decided not to register me moving from the location of the meeting I was attending (at least it didn't think it was in Fremont). I stopped halfway home for some shopping but not long enough for a deep sleep. Before pulling out of parking lot, I tried two reboots and a power off then called Tesla. They were experiencing high call volume so I opted for call back and told them it still drove fine.

Made another stop on the way home and, while standing in line to pay, they called me back. I had searched for similar stories and found something on the Tesla forums about it happening last fall (think it was on S) where they said deep sleep fixed some and others were wiring issues.

Anyway, tech support escalated it and said they would possibly try a few OTA resets since I'd be away from my car for three days.

Before leaving home this morning, after it had enough time to deep sleep, I checked the app and it still had the wrong location. We shall see.

In the meantime, location based stuff like home link, speed limits, and scheduled charging doesn't work. Too bad the stuck map is so prominent otherwise it would be no different than my old analog Integra.

Anybody else?

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Homelink works just not the auto open based on GPS.

Really, not a big deal for my drive that night or even most of my driving.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On 2018.14.13 9e3b7ff and don't know, yet, if this is software or hardware related.

Last night, my GPS decided not to register me moving from the location of the meeting I was attending (at least it didn't think it was in Fremont). I stopped halfway home for some shopping but not long enough for a deep sleep. Before pulling out of parking lot, I tried two reboots and a power off then called Tesla. They were experiencing high call volume so I opted for call back and told them it still drove fine.

Made another stop on the way home and, while standing in line to pay, they called me back. I had searched for similar stories and found something on the Tesla forums about it happening last fall (think it was on S) where they said deep sleep fixed some and others were wiring issues.

Anyway, tech support escalated it and said they would possibly try a few OTA resets since I'd be away from my car for three days.

Before leaving home this morning, after it had enough time to deep sleep, I checked the app and it still had the wrong location. We shall see.

In the meantime, location based stuff like home link, speed limits, and scheduled charging doesn't work. Too bad the stuck map is so prominent otherwise it would be no different than my old analog Integra.

Anybody else?
I had a similar experience with my model 3 a few days after delivery. I talked to Tesla on the phone and even went to a service center. They reset the display a few time, and had me power off/on the car. I made an appointment for the following week. Later that day, it started working again. Also, after that I starting getting other features like navigation lane indications that I wasn't seeing earlier. I suspect there was some sort of software problem that required a reboot. But it didn't take effect until later that day. I canceled the appointment, hopefully it won't happen again.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
E-mailed yesterday and called today to check status. Was told that it had been assigned to a tech and was given additional troubleshooting steps (power down for more than a minute and drive for 15 - 20 minutes after). I was also told that a static car (especially in a garage) won't acquire its position or indicate that on the app even if the issue had resolved itself.

Not long after, I received a call from the tech who gave me the following information:

This is a known, intermittent software issue (S3X inclusive) which is being worked on. It typically resolves itself after a deep sleep and/or power cycle followed by driving as suggested by the fellow I spoke with earlier today. It usually doesn't happen often but may recur. Unfortunately, there's no workaround for the scheduled charging aside from the standard techniques we brainstormed back when that was disabled. I will be home in a few hours and will take it for a drive and report back. If it doesn't resolve, I will do the bug report thing from the car so that it'll take a screenshot as well.

Fortunately for me, I don't need the car to give me directions and I can live without the other GPS functions. My only qualm is that such a prominent screen showing incorrect information will probably attract the wrong kind of attention when I'm showing off my car to friends and strangers. Maybe that's all part of the anti-sell plan, eh?

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Deep sleep or whatever they did OTA (don't think they did anything, if I understood correctly) solved the problem. As soon as I started out of the garage, it updated to the current location; in fact it auto "opened" the garage which actually auto closed it for the first time ever.

I hope it doesn't happen again but, if it does, I will try the power cycle and 15-20 minutes of driving thing.

Easy Entry

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New model 3 owner here, with 2018.14.13; ran into this as well.

In my case the various driver-accessible resets didn't help. I called the service center, and they opened up a case with the diagnostic team in CA. A number of hours later, they learned that a software package was corrupted (presumably at some point during the initial upgrade / vehicle prep process), causing the GPS sensor to go non-responsive. They were able to fix this over the air, and they pushed the (2018.14.13) installer, which they suggested I [re-]install at my earliest convenience for good measure.

It's been about a week or two since, and no further issues...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have had this problem for over one and half month that the location/GPS is not updated intermittently. I sent the car to the service center for two times, but the problem remains. The service has never found the root cause. They updated the firmware each time and it is now 2018.32.3. Can anyone help or have any suggestions?