1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Greetings from Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Personal Introductions' started by John Slaby, Aug 5, 2017.

More threads by John Slaby
  1. John Slaby

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Milford, MA
    Country
    Hi, having been on the forum for a while now, I thought it was about time to introduce myself, so here are a series of random ramblings about my journey to the Model 3:

• I work in the technology sector, so I love learning the details of how things work. When I first discovered the simplicity and elegance of electric cars, I fell in love with the concept and made it a goal to own one at some point.
    • The emergence of hybrids did nothing to motivate me to own an environmentally friendly car. Far from simplicity, they suffered from the complexity of both ICE and electric motors, and they were singularly unattractive. I suspect there is a belief among traditional car manufacturers that EVs need to look oddly futuristic (with emphasis on 'oddly'), so that owners can make the statement that they are really different from others. That's not me.
    • This is the second vehicle revolution in my lifetime. The first was the emergence of the Japanese car companies with inexpensive, reliable cars that forced US and other entrenched car manufacturers to deal with quality as a priority. Back then I thought, 'this is going to change the auto industry forever and for better'. (What an amazing con perpetuated on luxury car buyers - we'll sell you this really expensive car and then force you to spend a lot of money maintaining it. And, oh, by the way, if you can't afford all that maintenance, then you're not deserving of our cars). I made a promise at that point to only buy cars that prioritized quality and value, and have kept that promise to this day.
    • The Model 3 has come at a perfect time for us. Our youngest (of three) just graduated from college and is off to his first job at a San Diego startup. As a result of this, an amazing amount of disposable income has magically appeared. Make no mistake, the Model 3 I want is a stretch for us, but I feel that after 25 years of prioritizing my kids and their needs over just about everything else, it was time for me to reward myself (not exactly a mid-life crisis, but near enough). I am fortunate to have a wife who gets this (and I suspect she wants to drive the coolest car on the planet as well).
    • It's hard to find something that makes me really excited any more. I have become somewhat cynical by politics, big business, and rampant consumerism. The Tesla story makes me excited. I have since read up on environmental issues and have become active in lobbying for change. I have devoured the blogs and vlogs on Tesla and the Model 3 since its announcement. It makes it fun to wake up and think, what's new today for Tesla, EVs, and the Model 3?
    • And, of course, there's Elon Musk, among the most important individuals of the last hundred or so years. How can you not admire his extraordinary accomplishments and the incredibly difficult journey he has managed to navigate. (well, I actually know from following social media the many ways some people don't admire that, but that's a separate story).
    • I now have a second dilemma. Now that I'm getting the Model 3, I want to get a solar roof and a power wall, and get off the grid. Unfortunately, our home is very new and I can't justify the expense. A first-world problem, I know.
    • I believe, in my heart of hearts, that the Model 3 will be the tipping point for EVs. Ten or fifteen years from now, we will look back with some pride and say 'I was a part of that moment'. How cool is that?
    • For the second time in my life, I have to say 'this is going to change the auto industry forever and for better'. Amen.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Coral Springs, FL
      Country
      I love everything about this post!!!

• ModFather

old CARmudgeon
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      SoCal Inland Empire
      Country
      Yeah, John wrote this post for me. And he is obviously cool because he is joining the WW Club (white on white).

@John Slaby talk to the folks at Solar City. They have several different programs and they can get you into roof solar panels at a net zero cost. I have them and I love screwing our local utility company with my free electrical power! I will be re-charging my T3 for free! Purchase TSLA stock and in year of two it is possible that your stock will pay for your car AND the solar panels!

• Like Like x 1
      • JWardell

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Boston
        Country
        @John Slaby I agree with so much of what you said! The most significant of which is loving the simplicity of an electric-only car, and the pure excitement to be part of all of this.

We should be planning some Mass meetups once we have our cars, I look forward to meeting everyone who shares the same excitement.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • teslaliving

Top-Contributor
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Boston
          Country
          Welcome! I'm in Massachusetts and have been driving my RWD Model S 85 for 3.5 years here. Also waiting on the 3 for the upgrades it will bring (AWD, AP) that werent available years ago when I got my S.

• Like Like x 2
          • John Slaby

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Milford, MA
            Country
          • Bokonon

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Newton, MA
            Country
            Welcome! Great to see some more like-minded Massachusetts folks on the forum. Seems like quite a few of us here have ties to the tech sector.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I'm also hoping for the Tesla Trifecta (Model 3 + Solar Roof + Power Wall), but our house is over 90 years old. On one hand, I love the idea of bringing the house into the 21st century by the time it hits its centennial in 2026. On the other hand, I wonder how well the rest of the house will hold up under that glistening solar roof!

• Like Like x 1