1. It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Grey Headlight Indicator Light

Discussion in 'Software and Firmware' started by BradB, Jun 8, 2018.

1. BradB

Expand Collapse

Has anyone seen a grey headlight indicator on the screen? This has appeared numerous times and stays on until I flash the high beams. The owner's manual does not say anything about this indicator. 20180608_103302.jpg

2. telero

Expand Collapse

Country
    That's auto high beams. If you leave it on, the high beams will come on and turn off at the appropriate time. If you hit the stock so that icon goes away, high beams won't come on at all (until you reactivate by pushing the stock again).

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Vin

Vin
    Expand Collapse

Country
    While we're on this topic, do the autohighbeams work like this?...

Does hitting the highbeam stalk always start or stop the auto sequence without having to go back into the touchscreen settings?

In other words, I want to (A) keep the autohighbeam setting always on but (B) be able to engage the auto highbeam sequence only when I want to without having to go back into the touchscreen settings of auto highbeam.

I just don't want to always have the auto on, off, on scenario for every road, just of my choosing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. telero

Expand Collapse

Country
    The first time I enabled auto high beams in settings, it turned the high beam setting control on without using the stock. It was during the day and showed up as a grayed out icon of the high beam symbol with an A in it. Once it got dark enough to start using high beams I wasn't in town, and it worked as expected, turning the high beams on and off appropriately. Once I got back into town they were turning on and off too much (other cars, reflective signs, streetlights, etc.), so I pushed the stalk forward to turn high beams off completely. Once I was driving out of town again, hit the stock forward and they went back to auto mode and continued to work well, turning on and off appropriately around other traffic.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Vin

Vin
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Thx, so there really isn't a scenario where we can turn on the highbeams ONCE, and then it will automatically turn the highbeams OFF once and not come on again? (Kind of like Semi-Auto setting).

I just think there should be an in-between so we have more control of the scenario and like you said not be locked into an all or nothing scenario. Plus OFF is really when you need the auto feature the most.

I might be missing something and don't even have the car yet lol, so all of this could be complete jibberish :)

I just hope that there's more of an in-between setting or I might not use auto at all which defeats the purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  6. telero

Expand Collapse

Country
    You can always pull the stock back to momentarily flash the high beams, or hold it back. But in a place where you'd want to use high beams, auto has worked really well for me. And in town at night, I just turn high beams off completely with the stock.

7. BradB

Expand Collapse

Am I understanding you correctly that in order to have auto high beams, the grey indicator has to always be on (switching to the blue high beam indicator when the high beams flip on)? That does not make sense to me because the greyed out indicator has always come on during daylight hours, not at night. And my auto high beams have come on without the grey indicator being on prior to.

8. telero

Expand Collapse

Country
    Yes, the high beam indicator with the A has to be on the screen for auto high beam mode to be selected and available.

Yes, the greyed out indicator is on during the day as well. Are you sure it hasn't been on at night?

9. BradB

Expand Collapse

I don't think so but maybe I haven't noticed it. That said, my auto high beams are set to be on (see photo) but the grey indicator is not present. But when I pushed the stalk, the grey indicator came back on. 2nd photo 15284941626257892608722542510735.jpg 1528494283805913408113031725009.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. NOLA_Mike

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    When you turn on AUTO HIGH BEAMS in the settings then pushing the stalk away from you (toward the dash) it activates the Automatic High Beams (as indicated by the grey high beam with the "A" in it). Pulling the stalk back toward you turns off the Auto High Beams.

If you turn off AUTO HIGH BEAMS in the settings then pushing the stalk away from you it functions like any other car without auto high beams and manually activates the high beams when the headlights are on.

Mike

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. telero

Expand Collapse

Country
    Picture 1 - Auto high beam setting on, but not available.
    Picture 2 - Auto high beam setting on, auto high beams available (when dark, no other cars around)

When the auto high beam menu setting is off, the stalk acts as a regular on/off for high beams.

When the auto high beam menu is on, the stalk switches between auto high beams or no high beams at all.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  12. NOLA_Mike

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    I don't have the Model 3 manual but here is the relevant page from the Model S Owner's Manual:

Screenshot 2018-06-08 16.58.19.png

13. Mike

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Then you won't be happy with the cruise control either if you like to set it at the current speed and the system hold that current speed......instead of some database insisting the posted speed limit is different than what you want to cruise at