1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Had an overnight demo of a Model S

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Tony_YYZ, Mar 5, 2017.

More threads by Tony_YYZ
  1. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Caledon, ON
    Country
    #1 Tony_YYZ, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2017
    I had an overnight demo of a Model S 75D last night. It was my first time driving a Tesla. And I have to say....WOW! The driving dynamic of that car is completely different than anything I've ever driven before. That low center of gravity made it handle like a champ. Acceleration was so effortless, passing on the highway was so simple and one-pedal driving was so good. The onboard technology was so simple after going through all the menus once. I was able to learn the inner workings of the car within a few minutes, but I am working in the technology field so it might have been easier for me than others.

I have a reservation in for a Model 3 since 4/1/2016 but I have to admit, I've been looking at Inventory Model S' since I got home. I was afraid the Model S would have been too large for my liking but it honestly was not at all. It handled like a smaller car and the increased length was nothing of concern.

went to dinner with my wife last night and I was able to plug it into a HPWC across the parking lot from the restaurant that was available to the public. That was neat. I charged it overnight in my garage using 110v and got a few extra kms by morning. Woke up early to open it up on some quiet roads and the wife loved driving it too. Autopilot was only used a bit...where it would let me. I had it going on Hwy 410 during rush hour yesterday and I can see how this changes the way people do daily commutes. I can definitely see myself getting used to using AP once I get a Tesla of my own.

The car I drove had the following features:
    1. All-Wheel Drive
    2. Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint
    3. Panoramic Roof
    4. 19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
    5. Tan Next Generation Seats
    6. Figured Ash Wood D├ęcor
    7. Integrated Center Console
    8. Alcantara Headliner
    9. Free Supercharging
    10. Enhanced Autopilot
    11. Premium Upgrades Package
    12. Smart Air Suspension
    13. Subzero Weather Package

Have any of you had a similar experience and ended up ordering an S or even an X? I'd like to hear your stories.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I've signed up for this too. Date is tentatively April 1st. I'll report back

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Caledon, ON
    Country
    Nice! You'll love it. Are you scheduled with Lawrence or Oakville? I was tentatively set for April 1 as well but they were able to get me a car the next day once I requested Oakville.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TrevP

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #4 TrevP, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Lawrence is closer to me. I've driven a Model S before but I won't pass up the opportunity to have it for an overnight take-home. My wife and I are planning on doing a mini road trip to really get a feel for it and try out a Supercharger along the way.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Caledon, ON
    Country
    That sounds like a great plan. Looking forward to reading about your experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Daliman

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mississauga
    Country
    Would love to do this. Have driven a S but having it for a day would really make the Tesla experience real. How do you sign up? Simply call a store?

7. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    I'd be all over this but doubt they'd like that I'd need to drive 3.5 hours home and back minimum :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. bmost88

Expand Collapse

Air Traffic Controller
    City & State/Province:
    Dallas Fort-Worth, TX
    When I did mine all I did was walk in the store and asked if I could do a 24 hour test drive and they said absolutely. After giving them my insurance information and a copy of my drivers license I was on my way. Took very little time and they didn't hesitate at all. I will say that being in Dallas and having a pretty decent Model S fleet here, it probably was easier than other places where they may not have so many on hand, but I don't have any info on that exactly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Caledon, ON
    Country
    There was a Tesla Event posted on the teslamotors subreddit last month. I signed up in early Feb and got a call back this past week.

If they let you do it, they don't care where you go or how far. As long as you get the car back to them by the time specified.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TrevP

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Caledon, ON
    Country
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Caledon, ON
    Country
    You shouldn't feel guilty at all. It's a service Tesla is providing and you are asking to take part in it. I'm sure many people who were Model 3 reservation holders switched their purchase decisions after driving an S or X. And like in my case, you sing Tesla's praises even more after experiencing just how great their cars are.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    Agree! My Grandparents are thrilled that we're getting a Tesla and they're always asking us questions about the car and production. I think it'd mean a lot to them to see us living our dreams and getting the car is one of them. Getting a loaner would enable me to take them out as my Grandpa has always had shaky health and in his mid 80s now.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Daliman

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mississauga
    Country
    Yes I really want to take my mother and friends of mine who are curious. Thanks for the link Trev hoping I get a turn.

• Like Like x 2
  16. sigmo32

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Country
    I have a reservation in for a Model 3 since 4/1/2016 but I have to admit, I've been looking at Inventory Model S' since I got home. I was afraid the Model S would have been too large for my liking but it honestly was not at all. It handled like a smaller car and the increased length was nothing of concern.​

We did the test drive (non-overnight) of a Model S and ended up getting an inventory car within a month after. Having driven mostly smaller cars before, I'm looking forward to the shorter overhangs and slimmer width of the Model 3, mostly during parking and construction scenarios. The handling of the S does not feel like a massive car - while it's heavy/planted, it is nimble and readily goes where it is pointed with minimal body roll. Our main "issues" have been difficulties with manual parking due to the wider body long nose overhang, as well as a little more anxiety when driving beside jersey barriers and trucks in construction scenarios.

That being said, the car fits everywhere we've gone, so while the ~1ft additional length and ~6in additional width are definitely considerations, they are mostly a mental/spatial adjustment that takes time. I'm very interested to see the cabin packaging of the production Model 3 since if it might have similar passenger volume with a smaller exterior.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Caledon, ON
    Country
    I know exactly what you mean. I parked the S in my garage overnight and it definitely took up more space. I had my Civic parked next to it. If I had my Rav4 in there instead of the Civic, it likely would have been too cramped.

18. TrevP

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    There's no way a Model S would fit into our singe-car garage but my wife's car (VW Golf) lives in there and my car, which is our daily driver, lives outside. I have no problem with my car being outside and our Model 3 won't be any different.

19. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Caledon, ON
    Country
    The 3 should be just a tad larger than my Civic and should fit with more room to spare. Our house builder made our two-car garage just large enough to house two smaller sedans comfortably. Having a small sedan and a CUV reduces the available space by quite a bit but it is still very much doable.

Being used to having a warm/cool car every morning (depending on season) is a luxury I don't know if i can give up! But with the Model 3, that pre-heating/pre-cooling option would make that possible anywhere!

• Agree Agree x 2