Hail protection?

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 31st all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey all, just got my Model 3 on Monday been LOVING it so far!

Anyway, I live in Denver and I'm airline crew so I park uncovered at the airport for extended periods of time. Additionally, I don't have covered parking at home either. It's been a pretty bad thunderstorm season on the front range thus far and I fear hail damage.

Is there any kind of cover I can buy that will provide some protection from hail? I know that nothing will stop the really big stuff, but it would really suck to get my new car dinged up and wait for parts, or worst have the glass break and get flooded!

Doug

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Anyway, I live in Denver and I'm airline crew so I park uncovered at the airport for extended periods of time. Additionally, I don't have covered parking at home either. It's been a pretty bad thunderstorm season on the front range thus far and I fear hail damage.

Is there any kind of cover I can buy that will provide some protection from hail? I know that nothing will stop the really big stuff, but it would really suck to get my new car dinged up and wait for parts, or worst have the glass break and get flooded!

Doug
another Colorado guy recently posted about an inflatable car cover (powered by the 12v)
https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/cigarette-lighter-12v-questions.8107/

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikola

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We just had a big hailstorm hit our Model 3. The hail ranged from nickel-size to golfball size (see photo).

The glass roof and aluminum hood can easily handle it. We had no damage, but the severity of the storm set off alarms on a few other cars.

CORRECTION! Upon closer examination on a sunny day, it became clear that the aluminum hood and aluminum trunk lid are now both dotted with shallow dents. These are only visible in bright light when viewed at an angle. The fix would have to be complete replacement of the hood and trunk. Still considering whether it's worth it.

So golf-ball-size hail like in the photo below is just a little too much for the aluminum parts.

IMG_9512.JPG

Last edited:

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Doug
is this a unique to tesla problem? I would think that any car you owned would face the same problems from a hail storm.

Nikola

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We just had a big hailstorm hit our Model 3. The hail ranged from nickel-size to golfball size (see photo). ... Upon closer examination on a sunny day, it became clear that the aluminum hood and aluminum trunk lid are now both dotted with shallow dents.
UPDATE: A few days later, we noticed the rear glass was shattered in two corners. We think the hail damaged it and we didn't notice until the cracks spread out. The cracks kept getting bigger over the next few days. The damage was only where the hail clipped the edge of the glass.

So we finally got the insurance company involved. The insurance estimate is $4,400 in damage to the car. Replacement of the front hood (cheaper to replace than to fix all the dents) and rear glass will be needed along with two chrome window/door trims, and Paintless Dent Repair for approximately 115 quarter-sized dents on the rear trunk, doors, etc.

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
... it became clear that the aluminum hood and aluminum trunk lid are now both dotted with shallow dents. These are only visible in bright light when viewed at an angle. The fix would have to be complete replacement of the hood and trunk. Still considering whether it's worth it.

So golf-ball-size hail like in the photo below is just a little too much for the aluminum parts.
On my AWD Mdl3, the front "trunk" lid is aluminum while the rear boot "trunk" cover is steel. The doors are also aluminum.

Last edited:

Nikola

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You are correct. I just double-checked with a magnet. I had assumed the rear lid was aluminum because it was equally as dented as the front aluminum lid.

fritter63

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I found the ultimate hail protection.... we left Denver!

It's not like we got large hail all the time, just EVERY time we bought a new car. 1990, 1991, 2001, 2003.......