1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Ham Radio Equipment and the Model 3

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Rich M, Aug 11, 2017.

More threads by Rich M
  1. Rich M

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Berks, PA
    Country
    Any other hams out there thinking of putting a radio or two in the Model 3? At first I thought with the 12v battery being up front, the frunk would be a good place to put the radio bases, then run the radio head wires through the firewall to the ample console space where they can be hidden by the doors if you're getting the premium package. It would also be a short coax run to do a front fender lip mount
    m_vhf_uhf_ant_1.jpg
    (Not my car, just example)
    I'm not sure how easy it would be to remove the tub compartment and run cables through the frunk.
    Tesla-Model-3-frunk_grande.jpg

Of course the trunk also has a "downstairs"
    trunk_downstairs.jpg

For me it would come down to the location of the factory GPS, LTE, FM, and control module locations (and keeping my antenna away from them). Hopefully a 50w APRS data packet doesn't make the sensors go cross eyed and do an emergency brake in the middle of the highway. o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Thomas Mikl

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Graz, Austria
      Country
      OE6TMF here ;)

I have thought about it, but I rarely operate in the vehicle. I am more like driving with my buttdipole somewhere, setup and then do some range hunting on a nice mountain side.

• JWardell

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Boston
      Country
      Do you know of any installs in any other Tesla? I'm very curious how much interference the motors and controllers will cause. That's why Tesla doesn't include AM radio.
      At minimum, go for the front, away from all the noise.
      I have never had an issue finding grommets through to the front firewall in all of my cars. Then again I don't think this car really has a firewall!

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Rich M

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Berks, PA
        Country
        N3 XKU here. I don't talk much on the radio, but I do use an APRS tracker.

I'm not aware of any radio installs in a Tesla. (And it's hard to search the internet without coming up with a lot of Tesla coils) I imagine there could be some issues on AM and SSB. But here's the thing - I'd bet the 3 with it's permanent magnet motor may cause less noise than the induction motors in the S/X. Only a guess at this point though.

• Like Like x 1
        • Thomas Mikl

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Graz, Austria
          Country
          I only know one guy with an S, but he only has a 2-Band FM and digital with a roof rack antenna. He says it is fine.
          Same with a Taxi company here, they have 4 S and use their Taxi FM with roof rack antennas.
          So my guess would be that bands below 2m are prolly fine, I cannot say for above.