Hankook tire selected as prime supplier for Model 3

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 10th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

Badback

Valued Community Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
So, somebody please enlighten me. What is different about tires made for EVs?

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tire manufacturers will design tires to whatever specifications a car manufacturer requests. Normally, it results in a very good tire except that the tread life is abysmal, since there's no treadwear warranty on an OEM tire.

The Bridgestone Ecopias designed for the Nissan Leaf had excellent Low Rolling Resistance behavior. But the sidewalls were paper-thin - much thinner than aftermarket Ecopias. Many owners reported having a sidewall blowout from hitting a curb. And treadwear tended to be poor, with many wearing out around 20k miles.

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It would be nice if Tesla eschewed the common practice of specifying low wear ratings on their OEM tires. Anybody know if that's the case for S and X?

MichelT3

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My experience with general Hankook tires is NOT good at all.
This is confirmed by consumer sites. Hankook are low grip and low on comfort.
It would really disappoint me if Tesla would choose Hankook. I might change them immediately for Michelins or such.

An easy way to diminish rolling resistance - and diminish wear of tire shoulders when cornering faster - is to increase the advised pressure about 10 %, which I do standard.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I have then on my Hyundai ix35, only just changed them from new at 40,000 miles, never had tires last that long before. Thumbs up from me
Thanks, @Polly Liversalts .
How are they on wet roads & (occasionally...) snow?
I'm sorry to say we don't get snow here very often, we do get a lot of rain though and no problems there at all.
Thanks! Good to know if that ends up being what we get in Europe... like @MichelT3 , I would still prefer something else, yet we'll see by then... still a while longer to (im)patiently wait... ;)

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have Hankooks on my minivan. They've been good. Getting noisy now that the tread is low, but I ended up getting a good deal on the same exact tire model, so they'll be getting replaced with the same tires. They've been fine in rain & snow.

Jakesthree

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I had Hankook low rolling resistance tires on my Optima hybrid and they were rubbish in the snow (of course they were all season, not winter tires, but still). I also had the sidewall split on 2 of them at different times. That is not fun when the car doesn't come with a spare. Worst. Tires. Ever. I will be very disappointed if Tesla uses Hankooks.

MichelT3

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I have then on my Hyundai ix35, only just changed them from new at 40,000 miles, never had tires last that long before. Thumbs up from me
Generally, tires that last long are harder and have less grip. I prefer grip and comfort. Those contribute to my safety and driving experience, which are more important to me than money.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I have Hankooks on my minivan. They've been good. Getting noisy now that the tread is low, but I ended up getting a good deal on the same exact tire model, so they'll be getting replaced with the same tires. They've been fine in rain & snow.
Generally, tires that last long are harder and have less grip.
Well, it is good to know that some have had reasonably good experience with this Korean brand... I am still going to hope T≡SLA goes for something a bit more higher end than this! :)

@gravityrydr

Country
Country
I'm disappointed with the Hankook choice. Never liked them. I was hoping for Pirelli. I currently run Perelli P7 Plus' These are the best tires I have ever run. Will probably switch to these when the OEM tires are worn out.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI, these are the tires I have on my minivan:
Tire Rack: Hankook Optimo H727

If you scroll down to the "Ratings & Reviews" section, you'll see that they've been rated rather well by users (~1000 total ratings). As I stated above - I was happy enough with these tires that I just bought the same exact model as replacements (for $320 for a set of 4 from Discount Tire Direct on ebay - they have good sales there periodically)

There is also a Tire Rack Test report comparing these to three other all-season tires. They fare pretty well, and come out tops in snow traction.