Has anyone had a motorcycle cutting lates between the carpool and fast lane happen while EAP with auto steer is engaged?

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Country
Country
I am wondering how it reacts since those bikes come up fast and are often very close. People in CA know what i'm talking about....

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Happens all the time with me. When it’s a double yellow seperating the fast and HOV lane it’s not an issue. However when the seperation breaks to allow merging between HOV and fast the car will move to the middle (towards the fast lane) everytime. So far the motorcycles clear just fine however once in a while some of them look back at me annoyed and I just try to signal “it’s not me thats driving”.

There should be a PSA for motorcylist to be careful around cars with driving assist since it will become more and more common.

JasonF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have autopilot...but if it doesn't move over for vehicles that are too close on one side, it SHOULD. I would call that a safety feature, because it's not just motorcycles. Sometimes there's a truck or car driver not paying attention and they drift over, or swerving to avoid something. Autopilot really shouldn't stubbornly stay on course in those situations until you're hit.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here, lane splitting is illegal (so see no reason for vehicles to shift to accommodate motorcycles breaking the law), but still have at least 5-10 motorcycles pass on the lane line each commute. EAP stays centered between the lane lines.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have autopilot...but if it doesn't move over for vehicles that are too close on one side, it SHOULD. I would call that a safety feature, because it's not just motorcycles. Sometimes there's a truck or car driver not paying attention and they drift over, or swerving to avoid something. Autopilot really shouldn't stubbornly stay on course in those situations until you're hit.
There's collision avoidance, which is a separate safety feature from autosteer. The car will steer away if a vehicle tries to hit you from the side.

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
do not depend on the technology to keep you safe. you are the driver and it is up to you to remain alert and in control of the car at all times regardless of any feature you might be using.

Derik

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well my experience so far isn't with the HOV lane, but with the motorcycles splitting traffic with me being in the "fast" lane. With the V9 EAP I now hover over the accelerator as I've had the car slam on the breaks as soon as they come close to the front of the vehicle. I'm more afraid of someone rear ending me because EAP thought it would be the right thing to do by braking. I'm starting to learn just to leave the car a few lanes away from the "fast" lane just to avoid the braking.
I haven't had the car steer away from a lane splitting motorcycle yet, but maybe they haven't been close enough to trigger that.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I cross a narrow 2 lane bridge twice daily (to/from work) and the side warning indicators are always red for my car... I've had it beep at me and pull away from the side of the bridge on me before too, right when a car was on the other side so I had to fight the steering wheel.

Interestingly/funny (to me), now with V9, the entire time I'm on the bridge my car is thinking that a semi truck is directly beside me... and terribly close.

The other day I was passing a construction site and the car thought the traffic cones were motorcyclists and pedestrians walking!

msjulie

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I found it quite alarming, bikers often are really zooming and the car is quiet so you don't hear them but then they are 'in front' and the car sometimes brakes too hard for my liking..