Have I mentioned just how much I like pre-cooling?

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does the Model 3 not have the cabin overheat protection feature?
If not, hopefully it is coming soon.
That’s a good question ... clearly 124F is surely too hot, right? Of course vampire drain on keeping my car cool in the Florida sun would be brutal.

Dogwhistle

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does the Model 3 not have the cabin overheat protection feature?
If not, hopefully it is coming soon.
Cabin Overheat Protection is a good safety feature if you have small kids or pets that could be at risk of being left accidentally in the car. Otherwise, it will waste an enormous amount of energy keeping the car cool all day, when like @SoFlaModel3 has demonstrated, it only takes a few minutes to cool (or heat) right before departure.

Impatient

Country
Country
Cabin Overheat Protection is a good safety feature if you have small kids or pets that could be at risk of being left accidentally in the car. Otherwise, it will waste an enormous amount of energy keeping the car cool all day, when like @SoFlaModel3 has demonstrated, it only takes a few minutes to cool (or heat) right before departure.
IMO, in addition to the safety aspects, cabin overheat is worth the energy cost because it likely prolongs the life of the display and other cabin components (i.e., a dash cam) that would otherwise spend lots of time at much higher temperatures.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
IMO, in addition to the safety aspects, cabin overheat is worth the energy cost because it likely prolongs the life of the display and other cabin components (i.e., a dash cam) that would otherwise spend lots of time at much higher temperatures.
I would be curious what kind of range hit you’d take to cool the car 30+F and hold it for 9 hours that way.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would be curious what kind of range hit you’d take to cool the car 30+F and hold it for 9 hours that way.
I'll let you know in the third week of June, which is historically the hottest week of the year here. Fortunately, it looks like I'll have my car by then (I've got a VIN, and just got an email from my DS). Is 120F (49C) warm enough for a good test?

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
This is the most under-rated feature of wirelessly connected EV's. I imagine you could do it with an ICE vehicle but it would be slow and hugely inefficient with the big motor just barely turning the little compressor at idle.

I love getting into a cool car that's been sitting in the sun on a hot day! The downside is if I need to give someone a ride in my ICE car on a sunny day I'll feel like I'm totally failing to offer the civilized hospitality of a cool car to get into!

Note to self: Time to buy another EV.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is the most under-rated feature of wirelessly connected EV's. I imagine you could do it with an ICE vehicle but it would be slow and hugely inefficient with the big motor just barely turning the little compressor at idle.

I love getting into a cool car that's been sitting in the sun on a hot day! The downside is if I need to give someone a ride in my ICE car on a sunny day I'll feel like I'm totally failing to offer the civilized hospitality of a cool car to get into!

Note to self: Time to buy another EV.
My previous ICE car charged $200/year to have this feature. It was very slow to connect. Then it would turn off if you didn’t enter the car within 5 minutes. It also seemed to use the fan more than the A/C.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My previous ICE car charged $200/year to have this feature. It was very slow to connect. Then it would turn off if you didn’t enter the car within 5 minutes. It also seemed to use the fan more than the A/C.
And I would think this is really unsafe from a CO emissions standpoint. People starting their cars on purpose or inadvertently in a garage, not to mention the CO2 emissions