Having a strange issue with my garage remote inside my 3

Discussion in 'Tesla Experiences' started by Gatornail, May 23, 2018.

1. Gatornail

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    (I’m not sure if this is the right place for this, so Mods feel free to move it). I got my 3 yesterday and have not set up Homelink yet. However I can’t use my remote for my garage inside the car. When I press the remote in the car nothing happens but if I roll the window down and stick the remote outside the car it works fine . Has anyone else had any problems using their regular garage remote inside their car? I should note that I work for a garage door company and have talked to the technicians at my company and they seem to think that there is something in the car interfering with the signal. Weird, right?

2. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Have you replaced the battery just to make sure it's not a weak battery?

3. Gatornail

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    First thing I thought of, unfortunately replacing the batteries didn’t help

4. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Not the answer to your question, but why not program Homelink instead anyway?

5. Quicksilver

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Like @SoFlaModel3 said, programing Homelink is a great option. I just got mine to work with auto open when I approach my driveway. Love it!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Keydiver

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Does the Model 3 have a metalized windshield, like my Model S? That would be my guess, and it is why I had to install my Sunpass transponder behind the nosecone. It won't work through the windshield.

7. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    My sunpass works just fine on the glass.

8. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    In the 3 Owner's Manual, it mentions placing toll transponders to the right of the rear-view mirror.
    Can you try holding the transmitter to the right of the rear-view mirror, and see if it works from that location?

[​IMG]
    Ref: Where to install toll box / FasTrak / EZPass?

9. Gatornail

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    My operator is old and will be getting replaced in the next few months so I’m waiting to program the Homelink to the new operator. I got the remote to work today by holding it in front of the steering wheel, so it may be a proximity issue with the boxy thing attached to the rear view mirror. I just wanted to make sure that I was the only one having the issue (because that points to my crappy operator instead of the beautiful car)

• Like Like x 1
  10. skygraff

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    A few months?

Takes a few minutes to program homelink and easy to delete then reprogram with the new one. Why suffer?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Travelwolf

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I agree with skygraff. Programming the homelink was easy to do (although it did take 2 people for mine- me inside the car and my father in the garage at the main housing). It is also easy to remove (seriously- just push delete) and reprogram when you get the new one. I wouldn't bother with the finiky opener.

12. Gatornail

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Because if I understand the way Homelink works is that it sends a signal when you get close enough to the garage but it DOESN’T know if the garage actually opened. As of right now my garage door operator doesn’t respond to the first time I press the remote so it won’t respond to the first time Homelink sends the signal either. It seems easier at this point just to press the handheld remote several times than to force Homelink to send the signal multiple times. I will eventually replace the operator, just not right now (I have a really big car payment now that I have my 3) ;)

13. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

Country
    You can just turn off Auto Open for now and just tap the Open button on the MCU twice.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Travelwolf

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    You can push the homelink button yourself to open it so, if it doesnt open when the automatic signal is sent, then you would just push the on-screen button. you also could turn off the auto-open option on homelink and just tap the button twice as Tony suggested. still better than carrying around the remote imo, but i see your point now knowing it has to be pushed twice. it's a personal preference at that point- do you tap the screen twice or hit the remote twice.

for me it is nice to not have to worry about having the remote, low battery, parking outside with the remote in the car, etc. those things may not be a big deal for you though. 6 of one half a dozen of the other. :)