1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Headroom

Discussion in 'Design' started by Dan Detweiler, May 6, 2016.

More threads by Dan Detweiler
  1. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    When I test drove the Model S I noticed that while the headroom was OK I could tell I was almost brushing the pano roof with the top of my head. I understand that a solid roof will reduce headroom somewhat. Can anyone confirm if this reduction is significant or not?

Trying to play around in my head whether the money for a pano roof on my Model 3 would mean an uncomfortable sitting position.

Thanks,

Dan

2. ölbrenner

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South OC, CA
    Country
    I was about to start a headroom thread, but found yours first. It would be interesting if anyone who has actually sat in a prototype Model 3 could comment, headroom is always a make or break deal for me when car shopping (6'4", mostly torso, fit fine is a Model S but my pocketbook is not large enough for one :().

Definitely need to sit in/drive a Model 3 before acting on my reservation.

3. AEDennis

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern California, Most of the time...
    Country
    Not sure about Model 3... But Model S is noticeable in the back seat.

It's the reason why we went with the panoramic roof.

4. Thalass

Expand Collapse

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
    City & State/Province:
    Ontario, Canada
    From the look of the car the solid roof will still end in front of the rear passenger heads. I thought that giant one piece rear window was going to be there regardless of the choice of solid or panoramic roof. Could be wrong though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    Am I wrong or does the Model 3 appear to have more headroom than the Model S? After looking at many photos and videos of the test drives, it would appear to be the case.

Dan

6. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    my impression is the biggest reduction on the Model 3's interior will be width.
    When I was at the Tesla store a while back the other thing that stood out to me about the Model S was you have to watch your head so you don't hit the A pillar when getting in and out. Considering that I currently drive a very small car with low headroom, I was surprised it felt tighter getting in/out than my car! It probably is not, but I just know when to duck my head on my car and it's at a different place than the Tesla. After that, I'd seen current owners commenting they hope the Model 3 'fixes' this.
    It reminded me of the Pacifica (SUV/Minivan?) I had as a rental car when they first came out. In a week I hit my head at least 3 times and had thought "why would they design it this way?!!" Tons of headroom, but the A pillar cuts into the space you expect to be able to move thru.

7. Englander

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    United Kingdom
    I must admit that when we had the Model S test drive I found it quite difficult to get in and out of the front seats, a surprise on such a big car. I actually put it down to me being quite a big bloke, but perhaps that wasn't the reason after all :)

8. Badback

Valued Community Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Prior Lake, MN
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    As you can tell from my handle, and given my advanced state of antiquity, I have trouble getting into cars. Most people that I have seen stick their right foot in first and then slide into place. No can do. I have to turn around and sit on the edge of the seat first and then get my head under the door opening. This is a test that I perform before choosing a car. My current ride, a VW Beetle, has an admirably high door opening so I don't bang the back of my head or knock my hat off.

I am hoping that the ≡ will be OK, if not, I will just have to adapt.

9. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    Try going in head first putting a knee on the seat. I had to adapt to this method after wrenching my back last year. It was the only way I could get into my car for a while.

Dan

10. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Test riders I know only said the back seats were a tiny bit cramped side to side. They were cramming 4 people in the cars (not including the Tesla driver) during the test rides.

I know for me that I very rarely have 3 people in the back of my car so I'm not worried about that.

Headroom was reported as being very good due to the all glass rear window and leg room was really good too.

Motor Trend reported during their exclusive photoshoot that despite Tesla's past claims the Model 3 would be 20% smaller in volume than a Model S, they said it was closer to 90% of the physical size. Time will tell how much interior space was "lost" from the shrink.

11. NV Rick

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Southern Nevada
    For some reason, I can't bend my back or my neck. I have to get into cars head first, placing my right knee on the seat, and then swinging around to drop my rear end into the seat. (Not a pretty sight, but the only way I can get in.) When I had convertibles, it was a lot easier--just step in with the top down and sit.