Heated Seat Behavior

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 31st all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have noticed some particular behavior of the heated seat system that isn't documented in the manual and that I thought i would share.

In my ICE vehicle, if I've been using the heated seats, they are automatically re-set to the "off" state every time the car is turned off. This is not the case in the M3.

It appears that the rear seat heaters are returned to "off" when you park the car and walk away. Next time you use the car, the rear seat heaters do not come back on. The front seats, however, do remember what state they were in last time the car was used, and it restores that state. I noticed this on the weekend when my wife and I went out for dinner on a cool evening and my wife had her seat heater on. Several days later, when driving to work on a weekday, I picked up a file folder that had been sitting on the seat and noticed that it was hot, and that the seat heater had been cooking away un noticed on my daily drive.

It also remembers the state of the front seats based on driver profile.

Something to watch out for.

Cheers.

ravisorg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m going to take a wild guess and suggest they may turn off automatically if there’s no one sitting in that seat, but if they were previously on and there’s a person there again they tip back on. Will test to see if that’s the case.

Also suspect that’s because it’s cheaper to heat the seats than the cabin and so Tesla is nudging you to use the seat heaters vs the cabin heater.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like that each time I get in the car, the driver seat heater remains where I last set it, and stays on thru the drive.
Its always bugged me that other cars have the seat heater time out after so long. So part way thru a drive you realize it no longer is toasty warm and you have to manually turn it back on.

Rick Steinwand

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recently used the front seat heaters and noticed that behavior and also found it different.

What I want tho is the behavior from my Chevy Volts. The seat heaters turned on automagically based on temp. I didn't have to turn them on off and I could set the cabin heat to eco and use seat heaters more. If someone was in the passenger seat, it would turn on that seat heater too.

Did I mention it had an AWESOME heated wheel too? :D

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m going to take a wild guess and suggest they may turn off automatically if there’s no one sitting in that seat, but if they were previously on and there’s a person there again they tip back on. Will test to see if that’s the case.

Also suspect that’s because it’s cheaper to heat the seats than the cabin and so Tesla is nudging you to use the seat heaters vs the cabin heater.
Nope. Both front seats come back on regardless of whether someone is sitting in them or not. If you re-read my original post, I discovered it when picking up some papers off the passenger seat that were warm. The items on the seat weren't heavy enough to have triggered the sensor in the seat.

SalisburySam

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seat heaters in my Nissan LEAF work the same way: remain on until shut off regardless of starting the vehicle or someone in the seat. Same for rear seat heaters. And like @garsh, I do enjoy the heated steering wheel and take my LEAF when I want that feature.

NOTE: seat heaters in the LEAF are manual 3-position switches (Hi-Lo-Off), not electronic ones like the Model 3 has.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was surprised Tesla elected not to include a heated steering wheel in the premium package. Thats the number one feature for me in the deep freeze, way above rear heated seats that will seldom if ever be used. I can count on one hand how many times I've had passengers in my current car where that came in handy. I would have gladly paid extra for this feature, not a big fan of 3rd party warmers either.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have noticed some particular behavior of the heated seat system that isn't documented in the manual and that I thought i would share.

In my ICE vehicle, if I've been using the heated seats, they are automatically re-set to the "off" state every time the car is turned off. This is not the case in the M3.

It appears that the rear seat heaters are returned to "off" when you park the car and walk away. Next time you use the car, the rear seat heaters do not come back on. The front seats, however, do remember what state they were in last time the car was used, and it restores that state. I noticed this on the weekend when my wife and I went out for dinner on a cool evening and my wife had her seat heater on. Several days later, when driving to work on a weekday, I picked up a file folder that had been sitting on the seat and noticed that it was hot, and that the seat heater had been cooking away un noticed on my daily drive.

It also remembers the state of the front seats based on driver profile.

Something to watch out for.

Cheers.
I like this implementation. You can see status of front seat heaters so you know if they are on or not, but good to turn off rear since you wouldn't notice from the display.

What we need next is remote heated seats. The ability too turn them off or on through the app.
Agree, this would be perfect compliment to preheating.

Nom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Found this old thread for something I'd prefer to change. Perhaps in settings.

Here is my situation --- in morning, I drive three kids to school. All enjoying the heated seats right now. When I drop them off, all their heated seats stay on. I'd prefer that when Tesla notices someone in the seat (and it can from what it tells me about seat belts) but then after a minute with no one in the seat, the heater turns off.

I realize not all will want this, but I'd like to have the option of making this occur.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Found this old thread for something I'd prefer to change. Perhaps in settings.

Here is my situation --- in morning, I drive three kids to school. All enjoying the heated seats right now. When I drop them off, all their heated seats stay on. I'd prefer that when Tesla notices someone in the seat (and it can from what it tells me about seat belts) but then after a minute with no one in the seat, the heater turns off.

I realize not all will want this, but I'd like to have the option of making this occur.
The rear should need to be turned back on for each drive (not stay on indefinitely). Has that changed in a recent FW update?

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
yeah, I'm not sure why they just couldn't time out. Most seat heaters come on full at first, then throttle down over time to say level 1.. then off if/when car is shut down. I really don't like that if I come back to the car the next AM, the passenger seat as an example is still on full.

FRC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yeah, I'm not sure why they just couldn't time out. Most seat heaters come on full at first, then throttle down over time to say level 1.. then off if/when car is shut down. I really don't like that if I come back to the car the next AM, the passenger seat as an example is still on full.
Only the driver's seat should remain where it was before shutdown. All others should turn off automatically. If yours don't, you have an issue.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Only the driver's seat should remain where it was before shutdown. All others should turn off automatically. If yours don't, you have an issue.
Are you sure, but not auto shutting off is the way they have worked for the past six months. I'm on 44.3 at this point I think.

FRC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Are you sure, but not auto shutting off is the way they have worked for the past six months. I'm on 44.3 at this point I think.
Actually, no I'm not sure. I've read that in these forums several times, and took it as fact. I'm not sure I've ever used my own rear seat heaters!

iChris93

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My experience is that the front seats will remain the same between trips. The back will turn off between trips. I would like the passenger seat, and the rear for that matter, to turn off after one minute of no occupancy as @Nom suggested.