1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Here are your spaceship controls

Discussion in 'Design' started by bmost88, Apr 6, 2017.

More threads by bmost88
  1. bmost88

Expand Collapse

Air Traffic Controller
    City & State/Province:
    Dallas Fort-Worth, TX
    We all thought that spaceship controls would be something more like the Millennium Falcon or USS Enterprise, but maybe its more like the Dragon V2. If you've all been following Space X, which I'm sure most of you do, then you no doubt have seen the videos of the inside of the V2. The spaceship of the future doesn't have a HUD or very many buttons, but is sleek and only has one screen. There is no reason to have a "second reveal" because we've already seen the final interior of the car. It's very anticlimactic, but its what it is. I just hope that we get larger batteries with the first production cars. I for one can not wait much longer. I've had my car in the shop 4 times in the last six months...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    The "spaceship" comment was made before they revised their production schedule. Some stuff had to be cut to make their deadlines.

3. Twiglett

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Austin, Texas
    Country
    Exactly - also at that time were comments like - "we will ship the highest spec first"

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    I think the comment got misconstrued too. Most sci-fi either the ship is crazy complex with a million switches or super streamlined and sparse. Sparse and clean feeling is a winner in my book.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    When I see the interior of the Model 3 I see plenty of "spaceship" for my likes. I'm satisfied.

When people ask to see the interior when I'm out in public I won't have an ounce of shame to show it off. Oohs and aahs will be the vocabulary. Good enough for me

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    That's right Trev....bring everyone back down to "earth".... all the wild speculation has gotten out of control over the past year.....I think it has set a lot of people up for 'failure' of sorts, ( i.e. HUD and Spaceship controls......not to say these won't appear in later versions after ramp up has been achieved). I wholeheartedly agree that Elon has had to face reality and 'cut' things so to speak to keep costs down and remain on 'budget' and more importantly on (production) schedule. I think initially he was heading down the X path and as he's mentioned has learned from his mistakes....I can't imagine how frustrating and challenging it is for him and his amazing and great leading edge ideas to be constantly at odds with producing such an industry changing vehicle yet keeping cost and production schedule (July ramp) in check.
    Love your latest vids @TrevP!!! Keep up the stellar work my friend!

Ski

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Watts4me

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Houston
    #7 Watts4me, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    I truely believe there will be a HUD.

Just kidding Trev.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  8. Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. RickDeckard

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Longueuil Québec
    Country
    #9 RickDeckard, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    "
    but is sleek and only has one screen
    "
    Yes although the "one" screen is right in front of the pilot instead of over to the side, and Dragon 2 doesn't navigate between other capsules or need to instantly avoid giant wheel&suspension-wrecker pot holes at a moments notice.

For me keeping my eyes on the road as much as possible is important, being able to adjust the volume, skip songs, answer the phone with drivers wheel buttons that don't require me to look at them is a must, and not having to look down and to the side for speed is also important to have as a standard option, which can either be solved by a regular instrument panel(much better than a side panel for me), or a HUD (an even better solution), or have a feature that automatically sounds a sound signal if you go over a certain speed above the speed limit where you drive or can set a kind of cruise control that can be set to not go over which ever speed limit you drive in until you deactivate it or something similar that comes as a standard option even if you don't have full autonomy option.

BTW nice Dragon 2 image, imo it looks even better than the distracting chrome hexagon patterned interior we saw at the initial Dragon 2 reveal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. David Belling

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Hayward, WI
    Country
    I agree 100%. I absolutely need steering wheel controls for audio, phone, etc. along with basic instrumentation (speedometer at a minimum) directly in front of me and not part of a computer screen off to the side. I really want this car, so I hope that I am not disappointed.

11. Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles CA
    Country
    Gator arms?

12. Rick59

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    image.png Found this on my FB page. Add a bit of leather around the wheel and voila! Who needs a HUD?

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. UncleT

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    DC
    Country
    That center mounted floating touchscreen may be the one thing causes me to back out of my planned purchased, but I'm still waiting to see/experience the final product.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. droeder

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Munich, Germany
    I don't care about either spaceship controls or HUD, but I do care about loveless design. If the Model 3 ends up with the dashboard of the latest spyshots, that may result in a cancelation on my part (see @Hmmm... ).
    The fact, that the display hovers on top of the dashboard is very 2000 to me. Look at the interior design of the Model S, where the touchscreen is integrated, because it plays a major part for the person at the steering wheel. In contrast the dashboard of Model 3 looks super boring, super cheap with a touchscreen screwed on top of it. As if the designer realized minutes prior to his deadline: "Jeez, I totally forgot the touchscreen. Uh, ok, quick fix!"

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles CA
    Country
    Definitely not a last minute afterthought:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those look more like this instead:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 8
  16. droeder

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Munich, Germany
    #16 droeder, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Exactly. Of course it's in the eye of the beholder, but for me the dashboard of the Model 3 is completely loveless and boring. They hired the guy from Porsche, didn't they? An intern is capable of drawing such a clean dash.
    Got the Model 3 scribble too :) but does it really change the impression of bad design, if the first scribble indicated something similar? No it does not. It would have been possible to smoothly integrated the screen into the dash. Btw, I'm not talking about the steering wheel yet. Holy shit, this thing looks like a spare wheel for all I care. I sincerely hope, that Tesla will change that before June.
    You can call Mercedes and Audi petrolheads, but if they understand one thing really really really well, it's perfect design. You enter the vehicle and the quality of design and materials take your breath. Now enter the Model 3 as is
    virtually. The difference is as big as a Diesel vs EV. Being an absolute Tesla fan-boy and all, I also see rationality kicking in. The Model 3 interior as is looks like a shoebox, not a car.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles CA
    Country
    Yeah. I've already had this discussion like, four or five times in the past couple of days. I'm done with it.

The placement of the display in the Model ☰ is purposeful and definitive. It is there in order to eliminate a bunch of other crap.

The screens in the other cars are all afterthoughts. They are a relatively useless appendage surrounded by a bunch of vestigial buttons, knobs, and fobs.

• Agree Agree x 7
  18. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    This is a difficult one, probably where some of us are most stretched with the need to internalize a paradigm shift from what we know most (@Red Sage , good 3 illustrations at the bottom of your post...).

I love T≡SLA and what we've seen from Model ≡ exterior enough not to bow out... I must admit I was expecting something else from the earlier 'radical' allusion by Elon. Will need to see the car in person, after the last 'secrets' have been revealed... I think I've said it before, I am pretty sure I'll live with it even if it does not strike me now as the most adrenaline-generating dashboard... ;)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles CA
    Country
    Here is how I perceive those four interiors:

Tesla -- Clean.
    AUDI -- Boring.
    BMW -- Busy.
    Mercedes-Benz -- Ostentatious.​

None of them are particularly 'adrenaline-generating' in my mind. They are dashboards.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Ok... that is your view... clearly not all will share it... I'll plead guilty to liking the last two, yet again, this is what we've been fed for many years... Actually mainly from BMW, Mercedes has recently changed quite a bit.
    For me, the apparent Model ≡ design leaves a something to be desired and will take a bit to get used to... particularly if the wheel remains as plain as the one in the pic. Stupidly, I would have already felt better with the cut top 'yoke' style like in the appreciation folder design...
    Oh well... gotta get to work... ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1