1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Hi! M3 res holder in South Carolina (Upstate)

Discussion in 'Personal Introductions' started by Omar C, Oct 31, 2016.

More threads by Omar C
  1. Omar C

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Greenville, SC
    Hello! Long time Tesla fan here and an M3 reservation holder in Greenville, South Carolina. I've been watching in the background for a few months now and this is my first post. Excited to be part of the community.

According to the model3tracker website, there are a 6 or so of us in Greenville and Simpsonville. Anyone on here reside in the Upstate? It might help ease the waiting pains to commiserate with fellow 3/non-S owning res. holders!

All the best!

• Like Like x 1
    • pjfw8

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Hendersonville NC
      I am just up the mountain in Hendersonville. Welcome!

• EBelly

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      South Carolina
      On the East Coast, Little River. Welcome aboard. Maybe when there are enough of us we can get the governor to let us have our own dealership/service center. On my way to Raleigh on Thursday for my first test drive of an S. Wonder if it will have autopilot 2.0.

• Omar C

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Greenville, SC
      Thanks pjfw8! Any chance you're owner of the X I saw driving through 25 last week? First one I've seen around these parts!

• Omar C

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Greenville, SC
      Thanks EBelly, I hope the coast is treating you well. I test drove an S in Charlotte in August and rented one for a few days while on business in Vegas a few weeks back (just a few days before the AP 2.0 announcement..ugh). It's all we can do to scratch the itch until production time right?! :)

• pjfw8

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Hendersonville NC
      Only in my dreams

• Gangus

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Charleston, SC
      Hanahan, South Carolina here. Welcome Omar. Not too many of us from South Carolina from what I see on model3tracker website. :cool:

• Omar C

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Greenville, SC
      Hello Gangus,

No, not many of us at all. I've gotten into Tesla counting here in Greenville and specifically at the university where I work just to pass the time (easy to do since there are so few.).... I don't mind the wait though, it's just more time to save $$!

• Gangus

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Charleston, SC
      My thoughts exactly. It's kind of funny how alot of people in South Carolina don't even know what a Tesla is. Everyone always gives me a confused look when I tell them I reserved a Tesla Model 3. I'm not sure where we will be at as far as deliveries go. I don't really care myself as long as we get the tax credit and most of the bugs are worked out. The only thing that really concerns me is that we don't have a service department in SC. That could be a real pain if there are some issues with the car. I'm hoping one will be built sometime in the near future. Have you test drove an S or an X yet? I have not even sat in one nor seen one up close. I guess I'll just continue to stalk the Tesla Forums and youtube to feed my Tesla addiction in the meantime.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • EBelly

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        South Carolina
        Gangus, I agree there are not too many Teslas in SC. Here in the north eastern part of the state I've only seen two in the three years I've been here. Last Thursday took a day trip up to Raleigh and test drove a Model S. Incredible experience, although it didn't have the new autopilot 2.0, having it drive itself on the highway and park itself when we got back to the shop was eye opening. My wife was even impressed with the car and she is not a car person. I would recommend taking a day and heading up to Charlotte or down to Atlanta and give one a try. Make sure you call at least a week in advance because the test drives get booked up. And they didn't mind at all that we were Model ☰ reservationists. They just geared the presentation to all they knew about the Model ☰.

Also our first Supercharger is going in here in Myrtle Beach at the Coastal Grand Mall. Who knows maybe a store will be next. It wouldn't hurt to write a few letters to the local representatives asking for their support. If we buy the car in SC there is also a SC electric vehicle rebate available.

• Like Like x 1
        • Omar C

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Greenville, SC
          Hi EBelly and Gangus,

I test drove an S60 in Charlotte back in August. The Tesla rep there was very nice, totally not pushy (I didn't know what to expect at the time from a test drive at a Tesla store). We went on a loop through city streets and on a highway for a bit. It was so crowded on the roads that day that I didn't get to do a whole lot of faster driving or AP driving, overall a great experience and I almost impulse-bought an S60 on the spot (glad I didn't!)

One thing I did a few weeks ago that I highly recommend is I rented an S P85 for a few days while on business in Vegas via Turo app (sort of like the AirBnB of rental cars). It was HUNDREDS of dollars cheaper than renting a Tesla via Enterprise, etc... (if they even have an S), and renting from a local was a totally enjoyable experience.

I took a joyride by Lake Meade and the Valley of Fire, and drove to and from work just outside of Vegas. It allowed me to really get some time in the car, try out Supercharging, and really use AP...although the Full Autonomy announcement literally came out as I was on the plane home!!

Nevertheless, after my three days in a S, I'm sold 10x over and I got to "scratch the itch" to hold me over from obsessing over M3 for a bit.

• Like Like x 1
          • Gangus

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Charleston, SC
            Thanks for the info guys. I think the wife and I need to take a trip to Charlotte soon. I'm also going to see if I can rent one from somewhere possibly. I didn't even think you could rent one of those. However, you can do just about anything in Vegas. :cool: I can't wait to drive one and feel the instant torque. I have been holding off from buying a car for a long time. The moment I heard the Model 3 reveal was coming I knew it would be a winner. Perfect balance of luxery, tech, and performance. South Carolina just has to get on board and let Tesla do its thing.

Its kind of crazy that we have a SC electric car rebate but no place to buy a Tesla. I'm sure the SC dealer association has provided some substantial donations to help this from happening. Hopefully we have a service center come out of the wood work soon, Myrtle wouldn't be that bad of a hike. The closest Supercharger to me is in Santee which really isn't worth going to from where I live. There are a couple of destination chargers in downtown Charleston, but I think you have to be a guest of the hotels or restaurant.

If things stay the same does that mean we have to take delivery in Charlotte or Atlanta? Hopefully we still only have to pay the same flat $300 sales tax and just pay our property taxes seperate just as if we bought the car in South Carolina. Lots of little things to figure before she gets here, but I'm sure she will worth the wait. Can't wait. Thanks again for the info guys. Theres not too many people around here to ask questions and I'm not one to bother people on the street.

• Useful Useful x 1
            • EBelly

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              South Carolina
              I asked the tax question when I took my test drive in Raleigh. They said they just charge the SC tax (300.00) and they would also do all the paper work for the title and plates so no worries there. Yes we will have to take delivery in NC or Georgia unless we can get SC on the Tesla Express. I will be writing my representatives and the Governor to try and at least get them thinking about it.

• Gangus

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Charleston, SC
              EBelly- Thanks for the info. I will be writing my represenitives as well. Hopefully, something may come of it. I might try to contact someone from Tesla to see if they have even tried to or plan on trying to set up a SC in the first place. From I understand Republican States are pretty tough though.

• Omar C

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Greenville, SC
              Since you all are close by, I bought an Asphalt Model 3 logo shirt, size: M, that is just a tad too small for me. So I bought a Large and am looking to sell this one:

I'll part with it for $20-25 and I'll cover shipping. I've literally only worn it for about 5 seconds.IMG_3101.JPGIMG_3102.JPG

Attached Files:

• EBelly

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              South Carolina
              Thanks for the offer but medium wouldn't work for me.

• TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
              Staff Member Founder
              Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Aurora,Ontario
              Tesla Owner:
              No
              Country
              Tesla is really well known on the west coast but thr more East you go the less people know about them. It's the snake up here in Canada. That will change over time however.

The one thing that *is* consistent however is the younger crowd (below the age of say 25) do know all about Tesla. It's a generational thing and also tied to technology and social media awareness.

• Gangus

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Charleston, SC
              I would be all over that, but unfortunately Med will not work for me either. Maybe in my young buck days.

• Omar C

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Greenville, SC
              $15 and you can give it as a stocking stuffer? I just want to get rid of it. :p

• Gangus

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Charleston, SC
              Alright I'll take it. You got me ;). Do you have paypal?