1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Hit Parade...

Discussion in 'Design' started by Michael Russo, Dec 5, 2016.

More threads by Michael Russo
  1. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    A very comparable list to what collectively we seems to aspire to... with a couple of original ideas, like the OLED display and (standard) cooled seats... wouldn't that be cool?! :p
    HUD confirms its most wanted position...

Note that this is in all fairness (I believe) the opinion of just this one writer, yet it seems to jive well with a lot of what we seem to post about, doesn't it?

https://ev.network/2016/12/05/top-7-things-we-want-see-final-tesla-model-3

2. Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles CA
    Country
    Yes, it is a good article, that covers quite a few of the points that come up in discussions about Model ☰ all the time.

1) Head Up Display -- I believe that some form of augmented reality display that is either projected on the windshield or embedded within it may well appear on the Model ☰. That would be a good thing. I am certain that Tesla did not include a HUD on Model S in 2012 because the technology was so limited at the time, having hardly improved at all since the early 1980s in the 'solutions' offered by third party suppliers, and likely being too expensive per unit for a fledgling automobile manufacturer to include.

2) Solar Roof -- No. Just... no. If someone manages to create solar panels that have the solar energy absorption efficiency of Kryptonian skin cells? OK, cool. Perpetual motion machine, here we come! Otherwise? No.

3) Futuristic Steering Controls -- You had me at 'Knight Rider'. Well, actually...? The Model ☰ Sketch that is being sent to Reservation holders as a gift shows an open top 'Knight Rider' style steering wheel. So, it is very possible this will happen. But, I think people should also take a look at video of a particular GM Hy-Wire Concept Car from long ago, to see what the control system might be in the final product. My own imagination allows these things to be possible.

[​IMG]

4) Cameras Replacing Side Mirrors -- Yes, this has been discussed several times. The biggest issue in the United States of America seems to be a regulatory one. Specifically, individual States have laws that govern the size, type, and use of mirrors on cars and those regulations vary widely. Tesla and several traditional automobile manufacturers have petitioned the Federal government to allow them to dispose of exterior rearview mirrors in favor of cameras on passenger cars nearly three years ago, and nothing has come through in their favor yet. I blame people who live in places where it rains and snows all the time. I think that on some level 'everyone knows' that cameras are the future, but those who are extremely practical and pragmatic will choose to delay that future as long as they can. I think people forget it has been less than thirty years since mirrors were required on both sides of a car. Dual power mirrors used to be an optional feature.

5) Dashcams -- Sorry, but this simply isn't going to happen as OEM standard for security recording systems. Desirable? Sure. But with the wide variance in State-to-State laws governing privacy and wiretapping is a serious roadblock to the notion. Tesla cannot open themselves up to such potential litigation.

6) Heated and Cooled Seats (standard) -- Remember that seats are considered to be safety equipment in cars, and are not plug-n-play. So, every seating option offered has to be separately crash tested in a vehicle. If such a feature is offered, it should definitely be standard, but I sure hope that doesn't mean we must have leather seating to get it. I'd much rather some type of cloth or textile covering instead.

7) High Definition OLED Display -- Hunh? What? Why?!? I don't understand why this is listed at all. I thought it had already been noted that the LG displays would be OLED. Most people I know cannot tell the difference between display modes from standard definition and 1080p or even 4K on high end television sets. They just want things to be 'bigger' on a 'flat screen' but don't actually notice the details at all. They either see things, or they don't, and I think a lot of people probably need glasses but won't admit it. To them, everything on a modern flat screen is 'clear' no matter the physical resolution of the display itself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Tesla Owner:
      Reservation
      Country
      Wow, that was an intriguing (relatively old, no? When was that?! James May looks like a kid, almost...;)) memory, if you except the now significantly less believable reference by Clarkson at the end to hydrogen fuel cell 'being the future'... :)
      But some of the interior ideas?! Could be something there! On this note, I enjoyed the left-hand, right-hand drive versatility...! Our British & Australian (and Indian, and Japanese, etc...) would really like that... :D

• Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Los Angeles CA
      Country
      That is a video that I have saved in a playlist on YouTube entitled 'HFCEV -- ALWAYS The FUTURE!' I think that is appropriate. The best of them was a review of the Honda FCX Clarity by Robert Llewellyn of Fully Charged.

A buddy of mine gives all the credit for the skateboard concept to GM because of the Hy-Wire. He doesn't note that theirs was 11" thick, while Tesla's is just a bit over 4" thick instead. He also doesn't recognize that RC cars had stored NiCd batteries in the 'floor' under the bodywork for ages before the Hy-Wire came about.

• Like Like x 1
      • Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Tesla Owner:
        Reservation
        Country
        @Red Sage , forgot to thank you for reminding us that the steering system on the Model ≡ sketch together with the reservatists gift pic folder had this look... that looks like a clue if there ever was one!! :cool:
        Boy, do I wish I would still get that 'gift'!!! Probably reserved way too late... oh well, I'll get the car at least! ;)

• Like Like x 1
        • Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Los Angeles CA
          Country
          T-shirts that read 'I reserved a Model ≡ and all I got was this AWESOME CAR!' would be really nice, I think...

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1